Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT & Pilot Power Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michelin Pilot Power 2CT & Pilot Power Recall

If you hadn't heard yet.

Michelin Announces Motorcycle Tire Recall

To date, no accidents or injuries reported

Release date: June 15, 2007 GREENVILLE, S.C.

Michelin has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and Transport Canada that it is recalling MichelinĀ® PilotĀ® Power 2CT and PilotĀ® Power 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) front motorcycle tires with the "Made in France" markings in the United States and Canada. This recall involves these specific tires only and has no impact on any other Michelin tires. Related actions are under way in other countries.

An examination of these tires showed a possible defect in the tread due to a manufacturing irregularity. No cases of pressure loss have been reported and no accidents have occurred.

Because rider safety is the primary concern, Michelin has decided as a precaution to replace the 120/70 ZR 17 (58W) Michelin Pilot Power 2CT and Michelin Pilot Power front tires, which can be identified by the following markings on the sidewall:

* a "Made in France" label
* DOT 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T

Any consumer in the United States or Canada who believes they are affected by the recall should not wait to receive notification but should call Michelin Consumer Relations at 1 866 324 2835.

The company will be replacing all potentially affected tires in a comprehensive commitment to retrieve from the market any tire that does not meet Michelin quality standards. Replacement tires are available at no cost (including mounting and balancing) to consumers through participating MichelinĀ® motorcycle tire servicing retailers.

About Michelin
Dedicated to the improvement of sustainable mobility, Michelin designs, manufactures and sells tires for every type of vehicle, including airplanes, automobiles, bicycles, earthmovers, farm equipment, heavy-duty trucks, motorcycles and the space shuttle. The company also publishes travel guides, hotel and restaurant guides, maps and road atlases. Headquartered in Greenville, S.C., Michelin North America (www.michelin.com) employs more than 22,000 and operates 19 major manufacturing plants in 17 locations.

NOTE TO EDITOR: Attached is an illustration of how to read a sidewall DOT code to assist consumers in determining if their tires are affected by the recall.

About the DOT Code and Tire Identification Number

The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) markings serve as the tire's fingerprint and signify compliance with U.S. Tire Safety Standards. The DOT code can be found on the sidewall right above the rim printed in small type less than half an inch tall.

Make sure your tire is of the make and model:
MichelinĀ® PilotĀ® Power 2CT or MichelinĀ® PilotĀ® Power 120/70 ZR 17 (58W)

Then, look for a DOT code 6UCW 980T or DOT 6UCW 979T on the sidewall.

If you are having difficulty identifying your tire's DOT code, please ask your local tire dealer to assist you or call Michelin Consumer Relations at 1 866 324 2835.

Old 06-17-2007, 02:07 AM
Default RE: Michelin Pilot Power 2CT & Pilot Power Recall

This was posted in the Off Topic section.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:45 AM

an updated press release from michelin:

http://www.michelinmedia.com/pressSi...H2007062254540

Press release states possible tread separation at speeds above highway speeds so be careful on one.That being said,

I really enjoyed my two sets thus far. My current front is a recall tire that went two track days. My replacement is due at my local shop this week.I'm going to continue to use the 2CT.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:15 PM

I have been looking for a good set of tires and the way Michelin handled this recall before anything bad happenedjust made up mymind,I will be more than happy to send my business to a company that's looking out for me... for sure. plus the reviews are good on them to lol

Old 11-06-2007, 09:30 AM

I have these tire on my F4 and they were on it when i bought the bike. They are still new looking and the front tire does have a bounce to it and is whereing funny. I am going to check the number soon and see if I have a recalled tire on my bike.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:00 AM

My bike is at home right now and I was wondering since mine was built 6/06 and I just bought it like maybe a month ago from the honda shop brand new wouldthey have put the recalled tire on it or changed it when the bulliten came out??

Old 11-12-2007, 10:13 PM

I would assume that all recalls are taken care of before you leave the showroom floor with it, but I would check it just incase.