Pilot Power vs Power Road 2, rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Power vs Power Road 2, rear tire

These are my two options
power for $120
power road 2 for $138

I just finished a rear power, steel showing at 3k, best grip ive ever felt but wears way too fast.

I want to get a power road 2 but I am scared because they are labeled touring tires, and thats for a reason.

I ride 50/50 highway/city. I have a very wide riding style range(chicken strips measured less than 1/2cm) and I live in orlando so it can get to 60degrees sometimes. I do not want to sacrifice amazing grip for slightly higher wear resistance.

I know there are plenty of threads like this already but I needed one tailored to me. Some people have stated they got over 10k out of a power rear, idk how in the world....

My main two worries:
1. with the powers i have scraped pegs soo many times with soo much confidence because they warm up soo fast. I dont want to switch to the roads and go down because the grip wasnt there at w.e. time I was riding( 1hr or 1 minute into agg. riding or however i was riding )

2. Money is not a problem. I just dont want to lose soo much grip if the roads give less than +1k onto the 3k I got from the powers..

What is your feedback? And state if you had both tires please so I can determine whose opinions hold more value to me, thanks a lot guys. Im sure by my posts you have seen I overthink a lot but, oh well..

Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run through a few rears in 3-4k before I switched to the pilot road 2s. I like them a lot and would buy them again. I have like 5k on them and they still look really good.
I've rubbed the chicken strips completely off them on my 1000F.... on several occasions.
I haven't had the regular powers, though, I don't think. I've had couple sets of bridgestones and a few sets of dunlops.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:20 PM

have you had the sportmax q2's?

With the road 2's have you ever had them slip while cornering? The powers are amazing you have to try them! they are just soo predicatable and you will feel really confident in their leaning/grip capabilities

Old 11-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Administrator - Retired

I haven't had the Q2, but I had the first qualifier. I thought they sucked. They gripped ok, but the rear was gone in like 4k and the front seemed to cup bad like the 205s I had. People say the Q2s are better, but I don't know.

The pilot road 2s seem to grip excellent for me. I give them a little extra warm up on cold mornings, but I've never had a slip whatsoever.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldn't sacrifice grip for a few more miles. Your bike is an F4i, not a 1000f. It's a bit light, and you ride a bit hard for a touring tire. I haven't had road 2s, but had brig 21s, which is similar to the road 2s. I was thinking to get more mileage out of a twisty commute, and did a little. They didn't feel as good as the q2s i ran for set after set (4000mi and they were done). If fact, in the morning they were sketchy and got worse as they wore. I now run powers, and love them. So much better! When they wear out, I get to get new ones.....

Last edited by 74demon; 11-28-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:36 PM

from what your saying demon that sounds like a horrible tire! And yeah grip of few extra miles most of the time because grip is what keep you up! but if we are talking around 10k or more miles out of a tire then thats a more fair trade off.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:46 PM

I didn't get 10k out of the brig, maybe 6k. Not worth it IMO, unless you ride the freeway a lot.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:06 PM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by 74demon
I didn't get 10k out of the brig, maybe 6k. Not worth it IMO, unless you ride the freeway a lot.
Dude. He's not talking about getting the bridgestones.

It's like me saying that the Q2 sucks because the Q1 did. (at least they're made by the same manufacturer).

By your logic, I can compare any sport tire to any other one that I've owned?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:17 PM

Is that all you got out of it? I just got the power 2cts on mine, bike handles very nice compared to the stock tires that were on there. Ive seen people getting 4-7k miles out of the 2cts, only had mine for ~200 miles, but i def plan on getting them again next time around.

I would prefer an excellent handling tire vs a harder longer wearing tire, safety is #1

Originally Posted by romanboy
These are my two options
power for $120
power road 2 for $138

I just finished a rear power, steel showing at 3k, best grip ive ever felt but wears way too fast.

I want to get a power road 2 but I am scared because they are labeled touring tires, and thats for a reason.

I ride 50/50 highway/city. I have a very wide riding style range(chicken strips measured less than 1/2cm) and I live in orlando so it can get to 60degrees sometimes. I do not want to sacrifice amazing grip for slightly higher wear resistance.

I know there are plenty of threads like this already but I needed one tailored to me. Some people have stated they got over 10k out of a power rear, idk how in the world....

My main two worries:
1. with the powers i have scraped pegs soo many times with soo much confidence because they warm up soo fast. I dont want to switch to the roads and go down because the grip wasnt there at w.e. time I was riding( 1hr or 1 minute into agg. riding or however i was riding )

2. Money is not a problem. I just dont want to lose soo much grip if the roads give less than +1k onto the 3k I got from the powers..

What is your feedback? And state if you had both tires please so I can determine whose opinions hold more value to me, thanks a lot guys. Im sure by my posts you have seen I overthink a lot but, oh well..

Old 11-28-2012, 11:24 PM

I know he's not, but that's the touring tire I have experience with. I've never had the road2. I said that. It's more of a touring tire vs sport tire on an F4i doing hard cornering general comparison. I'm sure the road tires work great on the 1000f, they are meant for that type of bike. He's welcome to try them and let us know. My only point is that I tried a harder touring tire for better wear and was disappointed at the performance and didn't get much longer life to make up for it.

Quick Reply: Pilot Power vs Power Road 2, rear tire