F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Pilot Power vs Power Road 2, rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
You want equal rubber on both ends. You can tuck the front just as easy as you can slip the rear and high/low side yourself.
Whatever trackside guy told you to use different rubber front and back so the rear is stickier is out of his mind.
Dunno... I'm going with ray on this one.

I've slipped the rear so many times now (before I got Yolie and traction control) I barely react. However, slipping the front always scares the chit outta me. And thanks to all the manhole covers and crossing paint, I've Prolly slipped the front half as many times.

That said, I'd go with Power Pures. Yolie came with Metzler K3s and my confidence in them is eating at my riding. I have confidence in Power Pures from prior experience. Everyone swears the Metzlers are great tires and yada yada yaya... But I'm finding they take longer to heat up than the Power Pure. And now the cold has hit, I've been slipping a lot (TC doesn't do anything for the front tire)

Old 11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as which tire you want more grip on, I havent done too much research on that. BUT I can say this, slipping the rear does not feel as scary as slipping the front.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:23 PM

lol same as what kuroshio said^, slipping the rear is just ..... bleh, fun easy and controllable. The front though...... thats another story lol. its soo sudden and I feel like its pure luck if its catches back

Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 PM

but yeah my fronts have wayyyyy tooo much tread left on them to switch them.my height is off, my fronts fine. the way im lowered my rear is wearing way too fast compared to my front. so I wouldnt say that statement can apply as effectively to my situation as it would to someone with a good sus. setup.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:38 AM

I just wore through a Pilot Power 2 CT after about 7k miles, I just bought a set of perelli angel st tires and I swear they arch to high in the middle that when I go to turn in it literally pulls you into the corner, after about 5-10 minutes of riding I've had the tires so warm after it rains that they smoke. It's crazy how gripy these tires are, I'd check into those to and they hold some world records!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOXbZ3XCrlg

I know it's a sport touring tire but I only hit the twisties every other weekend and I don't really push my bike THAT hard. My sidewalls on my 2cts had a lot of meat left so I needed something with more mileage.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 AM
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

You guys slip the rear more then the front because most people have no problem whacking open a throttle but they have a big problem standing on the front brakes and an even bigger problem trail braking to the corner apex. Count how many professionals use different tires front and rear [different hardness doesn't count, its still the same tire front and rear]- there isen't a single one out there.

Originally Posted by romanboy
but yeah my fronts have wayyyyy tooo much tread left on them to switch them.my height is off, my fronts fine. the way im lowered my rear is wearing way too fast compared to my front. so I wouldnt say that statement can apply as effectively to my situation as it would to someone with a good sus. setup.
Thats 100% normal and has nothing to do with your suspension. I go threw 2 rears for every front. Again, you accelerate hard and do wheelies all the time [big time wear for the rear tire] yet how many times do you hit the brakes so hard the rear tire isen't touching the ground anymore? How many times do you stoppie?

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought fronts were supposed to be stickier than rears for braking and cornering (I know all the michelins are). The rears still wear out quicker, though. About 2:1 because of acceleration.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Discussion of riding techniques aside, on topic my choice between the Power Pure vs the Road 2 I'd go with the Pure. The reason is the time it takes to get heat in the tire. We all agree riding the streets is unpredictable. And I have been in situations where despite riding sane and safely some asshat made me demand a lot from my tires. A couple times within the 1st mile of the ride.

Soccer mom won't wait till your tires warm up before cutting into your lane, requiring you to brake hard or juke suddenly. For me it's an acceptable trade on longevity vs more "soft" compound.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 PM

I stoppie and endo all the time, I stated I had a very wide range of riding, from stunting to knee dragging all on the same bike. At this point I know exactly how much braking I need to slip either my front or rear. And not just from stunting but daily riding and hitting the twisties my front tire gets action too. But I totally agree with the fact that rears will rear faster than fronts.

and chute god damn it! Now you got me considering other tires lol. To be honest I dont think Ive ever been on a pirelli. I dont see too many people riding them at all, not that that means they are bad or anything but..

Old 11-30-2012, 02:18 PM

and kuroshio thats a really good point you brought up. having the right tire can save your life.

Quick Reply: Pilot Power vs Power Road 2, rear tire