F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Pilot Power 2ct front and Power 3 rear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pilot Power 2ct front and Power 3 rear?

So yeah.. Pretty simple.

I have a worn PP 2ct on the rear, and a barely showing wear front pp 2ct.

Now that the Power 3 is out and is supposedly much better. Should I replace the rear alone with a PP3? Or stick with 2ct? I know compounds are different, and have read in a few places that the profiles are different.

Can someone speak for fact if this is a bad idea or not?
I ride aggressively, and as a commuter. All weather, dry, wet, and very very cold... As in right now Ohio cold.

Thank you.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:31 PM

Well if the profiles are dramatically different then I would say no to the pp3. You say you ride aggressively so if you get the bike leaned over to where your using up the tire from sidewall to sidewall, then you might run into some issues of either front or rear tire losing traction. I don't really know much about Michelin's ( I run Dunlop Q3's), but if the pp3 has a much more aggressive profile, your front tire may not be able to lean as far over and maintain a safe and reliable grip to the road. Also have to factor in different tire compounds. When you accelerate through a turn most of the weight and pressure is on the back tire. When you brake or off the throttle through a turn weight moves to the front. So you might go through a couple turns where your accelerating through and feel pretty good about the tire and forget that your front is not up to par as the rear, and slide out the front because your riding to hard on the front tire. Then again the tire profiles may not be that different and you'll be fine running the pp2ct and pp3 together and you would have just read all this for absolutely no reason, hell I'll be surprised if you even read it this far. BTW I did once run two different tires before the Shinko Stealth on the front and a Q2 on the rear and had no problems.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Its fine. I've ridden pilot sport/pilot power, power/2ct and 2ct/pure combos in the past. I also ride aggressively with canyon runs and freeway exchanges you can put your knee down on. The profile is the least of your worries as it changes as the tire wears out anyways.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Its fine. I've ridden pilot sport/pilot power, power/2ct and 2ct/pure combos in the past. I also ride aggressively with canyon runs and freeway exchanges you can put your knee down on. The profile is the least of your worries as it changes as the tire wears out anyways.
Thanks. Since the power 3 is supposedly the new pure, it should be fine. I hope it is good in straight line water. With it being straight slick center, I wonder, but hey, track times equate, and turns are more important anyways. I used to love my road 3s, the road might have well of been dry when it was a downpour with those. But I kept puncturing the rear. Too expensive.

Old 01-30-2014, 11:19 AM
Registered Users

I run bridgestone bt023 front and rear....all year, all weather in the ozark mountain twisties of northwest arkansas.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Tires are expensive as it is. When I bought my bike about 6 months ago, the rear tire was bald from the center - I figure due to "burn-outs". Front was good. There were Dunlops. So I changed the rear tire to Michelin 2CT and left the front as it was in good (about 80% new) condition. I ride hills, freeways, etc. I have not felt anything different. I'm still a noob, so may not be as aggressive as some of you guys, but I do tend to ride a little on aggressive side. Just my 2 cents. I'll probably get the front in another 3-5months, and go with the Michelins (2CT if available), otherwise...who knows...

Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 PM

My personal preference is to run matching tires, and I usually try to. If at all you may falter with the 2ct, as far as canyon carving and aggressive riding the power 3 is more suited if your getting down and dirty IMO. I know Bridgestones 21 and 23 are excellent tires for agressive riding, my friend has a 2011 zx10r with the bt21's on them and with my bt16's on my 600rr even I was trying to keep up with him (knee down 100+mph) through our canyons, he for one can say that they are spectacular tires, I can say the bt-16 has raised my confidence level as well as the power 3's, the 2ct's I can't account for, with bad experiences... . I will add the bt 16's seem to need to warm up more then the others before you can confidently reap the benefits. I can probably go on about tires but I will cut it short there...