CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Disassembly of Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disassembly of Speedometer

Hi,
My FK has a speedometer that is primarily in MPH with the additional small marking for KPH. I have a new instrument cluster coming that is the metric version i.e. primarily in KPH with the additional marking for MPH, which is what I actually want. The graduations line up between the two, so I'm comfortable that they are the same instrument in behind the markings.

I'll change the whole instrument if I have to, but, I'm wondering whether I might be able to swap the face plates over instead. Granted this would leave the odometer reading in miles, but I can live with that.

Has anyone disassembled the meters to this level? The face seems(?) to be attached by two screws near the needle spindle, so the question might be - can you remove the needle from the meter so that the screws holding the face can be removed and the face swapped.

If I can swap them, I'll take a few photos on the way through.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:40 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, I've done it - I wanted KPH in big numbers !
Yes the face is removable by removing the two screws BUT then it gets tricky...............
the needle is often difficult to remove and you run the risk of damaging the spindle. I'd suggest fit the complete new speedo unit and live with the mileage problem.
IF you know someone who works on instruments for a living there's a tool they use to remove the needle. I didn't but took the chance anyway...........If you go this route, ensure than you put the needle back in the right place - it needs to be under tension against the pin at 0 - if you don't do it right you'll be over or under reading on the gauge.
ALSO - I hope your new instrument is from a Mk2 bike - the Mk 3 won't fit as the gauges aren't the same at the back. The Mk1 may fit but the dial won't be the same. ie the Mk1 has a red sector on it which the Mk2 and 3 don't have.
I now have a Mk2 bike with a Mk1 mechanism and Mk3 face !
And just for information the Mk3 complete console won't fit a mk2 - they are different in size and mounting connections .
If you need pics of the differences let me know.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Speedo! Your meant to look at it? That's where I'm going wrong, I follow the vehical in front of me till I want to get passed it then its open road for me, did know speed limits where real things we have to follow!

Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM

OK, thanks. I'm pretty confident that its from the same model, so I should be alright there.

I'll have a good look at the mechanism before I make any decisions - but it sounds like I might just be changing the whole gauge.

I bought the whole cluster on ebay from the UK (including air freight) for 43 euros, which is about $65 NZD, so its a risk worth taking. Will see what happens when it turns up.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:28 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a number of guys who make instrument faces in different colours for the 1000F and they aren't that expensive..............................
Here's a pic of the mountings and hardware - differences are apparent- especially the speedo

Attached Thumbnails Disassembly of Speedometer-s1050606.jpg