F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Taillight Disassembly

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillight Disassembly

Has anyone taken apart the stock taillight without completely destroying it? I am trying to get the lens off so I can start a custom LED brake/turn signal mod, but am having some difficulty getting the lens off. I have tried baking at 200-250 deg F for 10-15 minutes, didn't seem to loosen the glue all that much. I'd rather not dremel it apart if I didn't have to. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:59 PM
Default RE: Taillight Disassembly

that should be plenty of time in the oven. did you notice that there are tabs on the black housing, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom, that you have to pry up to pull it off?

Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM

ORIGINAL: axsys

that should be plenty of time in the oven. did you notice that there are tabs on the black housing, 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom, that you have to pry up to pull it off?
Yes, I noticed the tabs but they are off. It just seems like it is glued all the way around and the glue just isn't giving. I've already stretched the plastic housing pretty good trying to get it off, but the glue just isn't pulling apart.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:40 PM

Bump. Anyone?

Old 09-05-2008, 01:49 PM

Woulnd't know but I was thinking of doing the same thing and then ran across an LED tail light on ebay for $34 and then i said Heck with all that work and risk. Now its one and im loving it.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:21 PM

I'd like to think the one I will build will be better than anything you can get on ebay. I've had some experience with this stuff before, generally using higher quality components than those sold on ebay. The electrical stuff is not an issue, its the mechanical disassembly that I'm always wary of. I just want the stupid casing open

Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 PM

when you figure it out, shoot me a pm and let me know the easiest way. Ive been meaning to order LED strips for the same thing for a while now (I need to stop procrastinating lol). How are you doing your signals? Im thinking Im going to run a yellow strip of LEDs around the perimeter of the housing for each side and wire them up as signals (no running lights). I think (hope) itll look pretty good.

If I get off my lazy **** and order the LEDs and figure everything out before you, Ill let you know how it goes.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:23 PM

Reaper,

What I plan to do is make a PCB similar to this: Name:  IMG_0038.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  73.6 KB
That is a picture of one I did for a G35, but the same idea applies here. I will design the PCB to be the exact shape of the tail light housing, fill the interior with high power red LED's for the running lights and brake lights, then make the outside perimeter out of amber LED's so each half (left/right) will light up corresponding to which turn signal is on. I'll let you know what I figure out for opening the tail light.

Old 09-05-2008, 11:21 PM

dont know why you cant get yours open...maybe its been opened and expoxied back together? i stuck mine in the oven at 250 for 5 minutes, came right apart with a screwdriver. if all else fails, i have a spare ill sell you, great condition. i have opened it up before so i know its not epoxied or anything. PM me if interested...

here is how i did my custom LED light with signals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqvP2zUBCgU

Old 09-05-2008, 11:22 PM

oh btw, very nice work with the G35 light[sm=smiley20.gif]

Quick Reply: Taillight Disassembly