CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR 1000F speedo issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2020, 02:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 1000F speedo issue

Hi all,
Yesterday out on a ride I had abit of an issue develop whereby the speedo started to bounce around 5mph either side of the speed i was actually doing and gradually as the ride went on progressively got worse and worse to the point where I was 50mph out on the speedo to my actual road speed. Having a little look online and found out that on these models its driven off of a plastic nut on the front sprocket which commonly wears. Today I will be having a better look to see what i actually come across but I was just wondering if this does sound like the symptoms for this fault? It never totally stopped working it was just way out.
Main question being where best can I even buy the parts I will need? I'm from the UK if that changes anything.
Thanks in advance 👍

Old 05-18-2020, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Calum-CBR1000F
Hi all,
Yesterday out on a ride I had abit of an issue develop whereby the speedo started to bounce around 5mph either side of the speed i was actually doing and gradually as the ride went on progressively got worse and worse to the point where I was 50mph out on the speedo to my actual road speed. Having a little look online and found out that on these models its driven off of a plastic nut on the front sprocket which commonly wears. Today I will be having a better look to see what i actually come across but I was just wondering if this does sound like the symptoms for this fault? It never totally stopped working it was just way out.
Main question being where best can I even buy the parts I will need? I'm from the UK if that changes anything.
Thanks in advance 👍

As expected it is the plastic nut that goes over the sprocket bolt. Any ideas if this can be replaced or is it the whole unit as one? Also where can I purchase these from ideally in the UK.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:25 PM

As expected it is the plastic nut that goes over the sprocket bolt. Any ideas if this can be replaced or is it the whole unit as one? Also where can I purchase these from ideally in the UK.
After looking into it further the plastic nut can be replaced and i have found it on a Honda parts dealer.
Part num: 44808MR7013
For anyome who needs to resolve the same issue

Old 05-18-2020, 02:36 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've replaced mine twice. I had the same symptoms.I bought two new parts but did a mod before replacing the plastic part. I put a very small hose clamp around the old one while waiting for the parts to show up. That's been 20k miles ago and I don't know where those new parts are now.

I think the plastic get old and opens up. Mine were cracked. The clamp keeps it closed.
What you do is take the bolt out and put it in the plastic part and tighten the clamp. That gives you the correct tightness for re-installment.

Old 05-19-2020, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo
I've replaced mine twice. I had the same symptoms.I bought two new parts but did a mod before replacing the plastic part. I put a very small hose clamp around the old one while waiting for the parts to show up. That's been 20k miles ago and I don't know where those new parts are now.

I think the plastic get old and opens up. Mine were cracked. The clamp keeps it closed.
What you do is take the bolt out and put it in the plastic part and tighten the clamp. That gives you the correct tightness for re-installment.
Yeah i was thinking of doing something similar. Perhaps roughing up the inside and using a bit of plastic weld to bring back the flats on each side but i decided just to order the new one anyway. Well i hope mine turns up aha and fingers crossed i can remove the old one easy enough as after giving it a firm pull it didn't budge. I imagine i should be able to get under it just to prise it off the shaft with something

Old 05-21-2020, 10:17 AM

Perhaps roughing up the inside and using a bit of plastic weld
You know what?
That reminds me, I put some epoxy in the part, put plastic wrap over it and put the bolt head in to regain the flats. I forgot I did that until your last post.
Then I installed it with the clamp around it. I was only getting about 15k to 20k miles out of each new part. I have 20k original miles on a failed part and another 25k or so with it modified. And it still going.

I may never need to fix it again. It seams the original plastic gets old and swells letting the flats to skip. It gets worse and worse the more it bulges.That small clamp stops it from bulging. I doubt it pulls any G's going around and around on the front sprocket.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:44 PM

[QUOTE=TimBucTwo;1330956]You know what?
That reminds me, I put some epoxy in the part, put plastic wrap over it and put the bolt head in to regain the flats. I forgot I did that until your last post.
Then I installed it with the clamp around it. I was only getting about 15k to 20k miles out of each new part. I have 20k original miles on a failed part and another 25k or so with it modified. And it still going.I may never need to fix it again. It seams the original plastic gets old and swells letting the flats to skip. It gets worse and worse the more it bulges.That small clamp stops it from bulging. I doubt it pulls any G's going around and around on the front sprocket.[/QUOTE

Yeah i think i'll perhaps go down the route of fabricating something along those lines if it does happen again but i have received delivery of the replacement part today so i'll wack that on tomorrow and see how i get on with it 👍. I doubt ill be putting anywhere near that many miles on it any time soon anyway so should do nicely 😁. It is getting to the point of needing a new chain and sprockets anyway so i can see how its getting on in a few months time haha

Old 06-20-2020, 04:40 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep , I have replaced mine once and needs attention again . I actually have the old girl half naked at the moment , I will try the hose clamp method while I'm in there .

Old 06-21-2020, 09:30 AM

The more I think of it, the more my memory gets jogged.
I think I used JB-Weld, not regular epoxy.
That would make more sense.