CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

87 Starter Clutch Purchase-7 choices?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013 | 07:22 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Got to admire your fighting spirit Owen.

Glad the petrol leak was so simply solved.

To bleed the air out of the cooling system, remove the filler cap when the bike is cold, then start the bike, run it until it's up to temp, topping up with more coolant as needed. Repeat if needed, but you'll probably be good to go. RE-fit filler cap

Post a video of the bike running, so we can hear the rattle, these girls rattle a bit when cold anyway.

Old 06-03-2013 | 08:02 AM
|

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Got to admire your fighting spirit Owen.

Glad the petrol leak was so simply solved.

To bleed the air out of the cooling system, remove the filler cap when the bike is cold, then start the bike, run it until it's up to temp, topping up with more coolant as needed. Repeat if needed, but you'll probably be good to go. RE-fit filler cap

Post a video of the bike running, so we can hear the rattle, these girls rattle a bit when cold anyway.
Roger that. my old E30 BMW was the same. just run it up til its hot and stops spitting bubbles!

tomorrow mornings job instead of marking or writing invoices!

Old 06-03-2013 | 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oml67
Ok, there is dumb, there is stupid and there is both-me!

if you put the original fuel pipe back on that runs from the fuel tap to the fuel pump AND you remember to include the clips at each end AND you tighten them....

so no more petrol leak.

Bike starts after a sec or two of churning - cue manic chortle!!!!

Given its 9:50pm i dont want to **** off my neighbours so i didnt run it for too long.

The chain noise was still there but seemed to disappear after a bit.

I will run the bike again the morning and get it hot. also need to research bleeding the cooling system as i just whacked a load in til it showed in the radiator cap as covering the element.

Trying hard not to get my hopes up and the lack of petrol leak is currently outweighing the probability that i will need to go back in.

but at least i might sleep!

Cheers

Owen

Well done Owen, That is now sounding almost like a used CBR1000F by your description. Cam chain rattle (not alternator chain) is a common issue with the CBR1000F and usually disappears when the bike warms up. So it is possible that the alternator chain tensioner has re-tensioned.

I like Hawk's advice. If you can - video the start and the bike running from cold. We mostly have good ears as long as it's not too late and the red wine is starting to smooth out the world's woes.

Cheers, SB

Old 06-03-2013 | 09:37 PM
|

This morning I started her up with radiator cap off. Just kept topping it up as the bubbles emerged. Got it nice and hot, fan kicked in, so new sensor doing the trick! Whacked the cap on and ran it some more. Noise from alternator seems normal. Certainly the initial clacking sounds on first fire have gone. The cam chain has its own beat I notice. Comes and goes in waves at lower revs. Old age maybe. Came back later and it had drained overflow bottle. So topped it up at the cap again and in the bottle. Will see what it's doing tonight. Now turning my attention to the mutilation that is the wiring for the starter solenoid. Will post pics in a new thread.

Thanks again to everyone who has contributed and listened to this particular job. (Especially SebastianBear)

O

Old 08-28-2013 | 04:00 AM
|

Update, new Damper finally arrived last week, along with many tiny shiny parts!

Just got it back in tonight. Even managed to keep the spoke in there this time. Was a bugger getting it out and hopefully i didn't leave anything behind!

Because i have stripped off several parts around the bike to powdercoat whilst waiting for the damper to arrive, the bike needs quite a bit of re-assembly. working my way through that over the next few evenings and aiming to kick it over this w/e

bought this last November as a cheap fixer upper ($1000AUD), 9 months later it might be ready to take for a ride to the coffee shop! total cost so far - Hmm, lets not!!!

O

Old 08-28-2013 | 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

Good to see progress being made Owen. Still looking forward to the pictures when it is all reassembled.

Cheers, SB

Old 08-28-2013 | 07:16 AM
|

SB,

Of course! Having fun with Bar End Weights at the moment.

Not convinced the internal weights i have are originals. Will put up a post soon to go into the details.

Short story will be more bits on order shortly. There is a funny little clip that goes into the end to squeeze the rubber and grip the inside of the handlebar!