Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Riding with A Passenger?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:10 PM
July 2014 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Learn the bike & passenger

Hi,
I ride a lot of leisure miles both solo and 2 up and my advice would be, as well as those already posted;
Learn your bike before you take a pillion. you need to know your bikes handling characteristics intimitely before oyu carry a pillion. This IMO will make you a better rider for the pillion
YOU are responsible for the passenger and how they sit/ride with you. YOU need to educate/train them so that they know what to expect and what NOT to do.
If you are considering an intercom they are useful for chatting/spotting/discussions but don't let them be a distraction. I use a Scala kit which is good for over 100+ but only use it for longer trips.
As per other posts - ride as a pillion - then think about what you are going to tell your new pillion.
IMO, I have educated all my kids and friends too be good passengers and myself to be a good passenger carrier
try contacting RobaDad as he is fairly close to you.

Happy Riding

Bugkiller

Old 09-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Default Don't kid...

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Chit , that thing looks like it should have some sort of bloody parachute attached as well .... ??

Who the hell would ever wear one of those dam things ??
Don't kid Steve, you know you have one.......... for your epic mustache!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey929RR
These are great because if they fall off you can cuddle on the way down too. HORRIBLE IDEA!!! Might as well buy a seatbelt.

How exactly do you think that product is used? Looped around both rider and passenger? It's nothing more than some handles. You aren't handcuffed to it.. Go down, let go... ??

Anyway, I never actually got the product. Bought a Blackbird and got some hard luggage for it instead (+ backrest).

Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a Scala rider teamset and second bike since my other post. The Scala rider is excellent for either just chatting and pointing out stuff or warning and giving a heads up. I carry a passenger daily and go on medium to long trips with one so for me it's worth the money. If you rarely do, just get the cheapest intercom you can find or agree on some clear signals.

I don't worry about my passenger falling asleep either, even with the backrest on the Blackbird. If the passenger get's a bit sleepy, just pull over and stretch a little.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Default Are we allowed to use sarcasm???

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
How exactly do you think that product is used? Looped around both rider and passenger? It's nothing more than some handles. You aren't handcuffed to it.. Go down, let go... ??
The product is only practical in the UK/Europe. It was sarcasm, Ghost Rider. "Cuddles at a stop light"???? I played off that. Throttle back, it was a joke. Laugh a little bit in life. Triniboi got it.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:38 AM

I hate them things, they look so goofy. Since I last posted, been taking the mrs on the bike often and she loves it. Had a couple of drops since I've had the 600 but other than that I know my bike very well now!

ATB,
Tom.