CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Street Skills (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/)
-   -   Riding with A Passenger?!? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/street-skills-89/riding-passenger-119605/)

woodypk 12-25-2010 06:19 AM

Riding with A Passenger?!?

Hey guys, I've read Meggers thread and I was wondering about some things.

When I get my bike I plan to take a few cruises around the country.

I'm looking for some tips which will be useful when carrying a pillion for short/long rides. For example how to ride, what to do if..., Just incase... those type of things.

I always get scared about the fact that my pillion could fall asleep and then flop off the back etc.

Do some of you riders use the intercoms, signals etc?

Any info on this subject will be greatly appriciated,

Cheers, Tom.

jp_greenville13 12-25-2010 09:53 AM

Signals aren't too bad but anyone I know who's used an intercom would never go back. Usually for me and a passenger we use tap signals on my left thigh. One, two or three taps. each with a pre determined meaning.

I wouldn't worry too much about your passenger falling asleep and falling off. Not sure what that guys problem was. Lol.

woodypk 12-25-2010 11:28 AM

Yeah, Tap signals is what I meant. Like 2 taps - need a rest/toilet break etc... I managed to get a cheap 2 way intercom where both riders have a single earpiece with microphone which plugs into a small unit which goes into the pocket. It also has an input for a ipod etc.
Only cost me £6 delivered lol so it's not a waste if its not to our taste.

jp_greenville13 12-25-2010 12:31 PM

Nice man let us know how that goes! For me one tap usually means we need to talk and the next stop the visors go up. 2 taps means a break and 3 or more frantic taps usually means deer or other danger I might not see.

woodypk 12-26-2010 04:48 PM

ahh cool thats a good system.

CBRclassic 12-26-2010 05:08 PM

Carrying passengers that are new to road bikes , or even just new to your riding style can be very dodgy at the best of times ...

You can set a few rules , whether it be signals or what ever before you head out with them on the back , but I think one of the best things to remember , is that if THEY are new to all this and new to your riding style , ITS UP TO YOU to take extra care !!!! people will forget signals all to quickly , especially if you are scarring them even a little bit by the way you are riding ...

It is very rare to have anyone just fall off the back mate ...very rare indeed , so I would not be too concerned about that issue ... it is more likely that they will get thrown off the back if they are not ready for any acceleration that you apply ...

BTW ... personally , I find the tap tap on the leg fine when you have a lady on the back ...but with guys , hmmmm...:icon_denk: , I think that I prefer to not go the touchie feel-ie thing at all ....LOL:icon_wink:

Kuroshio 12-26-2010 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic (Post 999433)
It is very rare to have anyone just falls off the back mate ...very rare indeed , so I would not be too concerned about that issue ... it is more likely that they will get thrown off the back if they are not ready for any acceleration that you apply ...

Heh I was going to say "If they fall asleep, try going faster than 10 mph :p"

Ok, seriously: anyone that could honestly fall asleep riding pillion would have to be someone who has ridden with you so long to trust you implicitly. Most everyone (prolly everyone) would be hyper-alert riding behind someone new for a while, regardless of how much experience they themselves have riding pillion.

And it's not like we're talking about a Goldwing here in terms of mind numbing comfort for the passenger ;)

CBRclassic 12-26-2010 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio (Post 999435)
Heh I was going to say "If they fall asleep, try going faster than 10 mph :p"

Ok, seriously: anyone that could honestly fall asleep riding pillion would have to be someone who has ridden with you so long to trust you implicitly. Most everyone (prolly everyone) would be hyper-alert riding behind someone new for a while, regardless of how much experience they themselves have riding pillion.

And it's not like we're talking about a Goldwing here in terms of mind numbing comfort for the passenger ;)

My ex misses used to sleep on the back all the time on long trips ... she did have like 200,000 klms of time behind me though , which I spose gave her confidence ... lol

My misses ATM , Kerri , has an intercom between us that we use occasionally , its a rather low cost one that does not work very well over 60MPH ....my advice to you is , if you go the intercom way? , spend a few more bucks to at least get one that works at speed ... and they can cost upwards of $200 bucks !! :icon_shrug:

woodypk 12-27-2010 10:59 AM

Yeh Classic, I've got to admit,

I don't have any hope of it holding up against high winds.

My dad is on a full license and he is able to carry pillion on his gpx250 so I might try it out with me and him on his bike.

PlayfulGod 12-27-2010 12:44 PM

my wife taps me on the side or leg if a potty break or rest stop is needed. Never had any probs with her falling asleep tho lol.

Far as riding goes tho, once you are comfortable with the extra weight and how diff the bike response its almost like your normal riding. With a passgr, I dont even try to do my usual hanging off bit, I do ship style n keep my ass planted on the seat. Tho I so know a few that ride just like they do solo lol.