Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Riding with A Passenger?!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Carrying passengers that are new to road bikes , or even just new to your riding style can be very doggy at the best of times ...
What about doggy style?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been curious about carrying a Passanger since all of a sudden I have a few female friends that want to go for a ride but I'm not sure about that. Most of them have never been on a bike. One has so she is the only one I'm considering taking for a ride since she already knows some of the does and donts of riding as a passenger.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:35 PM

It's up to you to educate them on riding passenger. If they're noobies at it, take them around the block. If they freak out, it's not for them lol.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

T'was just a typo " dodgy "
And by "typo" he meant "freudian slip"

Old 12-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All sounds a little ruff to me !

Old 12-28-2010, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by woodypk
Hey guys, I've read Meggers thread and I was wondering about some things.

When I get my bike I plan to take a few cruises around the country.

I'm looking for some tips which will be useful when carrying a pillion for short/long rides. For example how to ride, what to do if..., Just incase... those type of things.

I always get scared about the fact that my pillion could fall asleep and then flop off the back etc.

Do some of you riders use the intercoms, signals etc?

Any info on this subject will be greatly appriciated,

Cheers, Tom.

Remember that it will take longer to stop as well. When i have my wife on the bike i use the back brake the most because it stops her from sliding into me since both of us are small enough to fit in the main seat. Other than that tapping signals is what we use.

Jay_J: Tell them that they need to hold on and not make sudden movements. They also need to lean with you and make sure they are always holding onto you. I forgot to tell my sister to lean with me in turns and as we took a 35mph turn she didnt want to lean anymore and kinda jerked up almost causing me to loose it.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by woodypk
I'm looking for some tips which will be useful when carrying a pillion for short/long rides. For example how to ride, what to do if..., Just incase... those type of things.

I always get scared about the fact that my pillion could fall asleep and then flop off the back etc.

Do some of you riders use the intercoms, signals etc?

Any info on this subject will be greatly appriciated,
In order to get an idea of what a passenger experiences on the back I suggest that you ride as a passenger with someone. I've been there and simple things like taking off from a stop light are much different when you're on the back and have little to hang onto. You have to remember to take off somewhat slower because they don't have grips that they can wrap their hands around. Same with stopping. Think gradual.

As far as communicating, my wife and I use a set of hands-free helmet communicators. They work fine, whether we're riding along at 35 mph or cruising down the highway at 70+. If either one of us gets a cell phone call we just say a word into the microphone to answer it and talk privately without the other rider listening in.

My wife has a Kindle. I'm waiting for her to come up with some sort of holder for it that she can attach it to my back while we're riding.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:43 PM

Good advice,all,especially what I think is the most important "lean with me" and dont try to impress your passenger,especially first timers or young ones. I would add that my standard advice is "keep your feet on the footrest all the time ! Even at stops, it gives me an idea of their weight and 'where' they are,also eliminates issues if I have to jet out of the way,etc.
I have a buddy that takes his young daughter out sometimes and she does fall asleep at times ! Of course she's with daddy, nothing can happen in that trust. He ended up installing a backrest on his FZ 1000,just a short one,but still something to catch her.
On the few times I have taken my munchkins out I advise them to hold on to me. That keeps them 'with' me and I know if they relax real time.
Me personally ,I dont like to ride a pasenger,even the pretty ones. When I'm on the bike, the whole idea is to get away.Understand some significant others dont like that and dont take my advice,I dont have one

Old 01-02-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Junior2552
It's up to you to educate them on riding passenger. If they're noobies at it, take them around the block. If they freak out, it's not for them lol.

I did that once with a nice girl from MSU (Michigan State). I told her if she wanted me to slow down or needed anything to tap me. She never tapped me, so I went to 100 mph for a second. Later she told her roommate (my friend's girlfriend) that she was petrified and hated it. Oh well, she was too nice for me anyway, haha.

Don't worry too much about having a passenger, I got used to it pretty quickly. Just start out riding more cautiously than normal.

Quick Reply: Riding with A Passenger?!?