Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Need help regaining confidence

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like the site ate my bigger reply.
Yeah, if you tried to use the "quick reply".... just don't.
It is evil.... lol..

Old 05-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as you guys might've noticed I've been workin on her, she's turning, just not catching and starting... https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...485#post926485

SO I NOW CALL UPON THE POWER OF THE CBRFORUM COMMUNITY! I HAVE TEH POWAAAA!!! (He-Man Reference...)

But no, seriously, Help me out guys!

Old 06-06-2010, 03:06 AM

buddy
things lyk this happen when you are on road

so theres nothing to worry more about

just think that it was one bad day

take out your bike once again

and start riding with full confidence

Old 06-13-2010, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by JAKECBR1
i didnt see anyone say, but you want to set your speed before you make a turn. you dont want to brake or accelerate when leaned over causing lost traction.
On the qoute, I'd suggest setting your speed going into the curve/corner.You should also be in the correct gear.Slower entry,then gently accelerate through the turn,under power. How much depends on terrain and conditions and how much you may want to slide through it. Most of us dont want that so gently bring it on as you go through and exit .But be as slow as you need to be before you lean in then gently power out.
Second get back on as soon as you can !
Never allow a cage to ride your @$$ !!! I've found a glare will wake'um up.If not I'd just miss the turn and circle back - it's worth it.
Good luck on your next bike ..

Old 07-07-2010, 05:53 PM

this has been a really awesome thread i must say

i really got a different perspective on different aspects of riding...and thanks to kuro i finaly no why everyone always says to get those books, everyother time someone mentioned them its always "go get the books" but never why, or what exactly the books talk about

and btw, kuro.. if you can find me a decent fix-me-up bike by me like you found for 500 ill give you some cookies!!! lol

Old 07-10-2010, 10:48 PM
Default Back in the Saddle - an Old Guy's perspective

I've been riding since I was 13. I'm 51 now... and over 16 years of that was every day in Los Angeles, some of it flying through as a motorcycle messenger, some working for Motorcyclist Magazine, some just pushing my luck with no real justification... and a lot of it was learning to ride defensively and aggressively at the same time. (There's an entire book in that alone.)

Regarding setting up the turn: Gotta disagree with a few of you. You're going to want to have a little room to accelerate in the turn, so you're pushing from the *** end from just before mid-point of the turn on through. That compresses the suspension a bit, gives a more affirmative contact with the track/road.

Twist of the Wrist 2 by Keith Code -- outstanding suggestion, and essential/required reading, IMO. You'll learn the physics of the bike, what counter-steering is, how and why that works, etc. That alone is worth the price of the book!

As to WHAT to ride (though it seems it may be too late for this part,) buy a bike that costs you $500-800. It doesn't need to be a crotch rocket. Unless you're a serious porker, keep it at or under 750 ccs, preferably closer to 600, in a 4-cylinder. That will provide smoother delivery of power, while keeping the torque available to you in sane limits, AND keep you from blowing it up if you accidentally (or intentionally) downshift while punching it. PLAN to lay it down. Spend some of the difference on safety gear. Thinking of riding in shorts, gym shoes, and without a helmet? Just ****ing don't. Not up for discussion. If it's "too hot out" to wear a helmet, then it's too hot out to ride. Ditto the leathers. Road rash is NOT a fun experience, and you only have so much skin to graft from. Boots? Well duh.

On the subject of helmets... The one time I'll readily agree with a salesman is "How much is your head worth?" Do not consider anything but a full-face helmet. Do not consider a full-face that hinges. Do not be fooled ito believing that it is acceptable because it has a DOT approval. That's a very bare minimum, and my head's worth more to me than a DOT stamp. Arai, Shoei, these are helmets. There are a few others these days doing a tolerable job, but in all the years and crashes, they have never left me on a lurch. One time, a steel I-beam bumper came through the top of the helmet, into the foam padding at the soft-spot top of my head. Needless to say, I'd have been dead without it. Another time, I landed on both knees and the chin of the helmet. The impact tore the chin piece, ripped the fiberglass on one side clean off... but the helmet did its job; it absorbed the impact, and I suffered no harm to my head. (Patella was broken into 4 pieces, but ...) Without that helmet, I probably wouldn't have had a face from the bridge of my nose down. So... how much is your head worth?

In all the miles, all the speed, etc., I've had one small hairline crack in a small ankle bone (<5 mph, bumped into at a stoplight) and the fractured kneecap. No other breaks, even though I've hit hard concrete at speeds in excess of 65 mph. Am I lucky? You bet your *** I am, and grateful too. But mostly, I'm careful. Riding is a calculated risk. When I'm splitting lanes or coming up on someone, I start looking in their rear windshield from a couple car-lengths back. Are they paying attention? On the phone, doing makeup, reading the paper, chastising the kids, all of the above? Then ya may still want to pass, but allow yourself room and get past her FAST (and then throttle it back so you can evaluate the next cars ahead of you the very same way.) Expect the dumb and unexpected. Realize that when car drivers are looking at your headlight while waiting to make a left-hand turn, you will ALWAYS look like you're further away to them than you actually are, so there's a better than average likelihood that they'll consider hitting the gas and turning right in front of you at the last moment. EXPECT THAT, and be prepared to lock 'em up, go around, etc. SLOW DOWN if you have any question in your mind that they might do that, or may not be paying attention. Get eye contact with them. Even if they can't see yours, you can see what they're focusing on. Don't wait for them to look out for you. Look out for yourself. That will keep you alive.

Should you get back on the horse, per se? A lot of guys are saying you should. YOU are saying you want to, and you're gonna learn to be a bike mechanic by way of fixing up a project bike. This old guy has to respectfully disagree. Get the cheap but reliable bike I mentioned above. There are some old Suzuki GS models, a Yamaha Radian, maybe, or even an old CB. That's something you can learn on and from. THen when you've got that down, (and its limitations have kept you from becoming a stenciled statistic,) you can better appreciate the amazing technology that we have at our fingertips. Then you'll be in a better position to control that technology safely and effectively. Starting off with a superbike is about like learning to drive a car in a Ferrari or learning to fly in a fighter jet. You're just not ready for that yet. You lack the finesse, the light-handed control necessary to pilot such bikes readily.

There's no doubt you'll lay the bike down again. In the future, should you continue, you'll be less freaked out by it, and more mad at yourself for the expense and the down-time. Is it worth it? Only you can decide that. I find I don't have a choice. Riding is about as close to freedom as ground-bound mortals can enjoy, and fast bikes are as close to flying a fighter jet as civilians are allowed. At 51, I still enjoy the fast bikes, and riding in a tuck doesn't bother me. Cruiser? If I was gonna do that, I may as well get a comfortable car, a rocking chair and some Geritol. But it's still all on you, and all up to you. Personally, I would never endorse avoiding the road less traveled. I'll leave you with a quote from Mark Twain:

"Twenty years from today, you will be more disappointed by that which you have NOT done than by that which you have, so... explore, dream, discover."

Whether your path is on a motorcycle, or to be followed some other way, only you can figure out. No matter what, keep the rubber side down!

JT

Last edited by SpectreWriter; 07-10-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:27 PM

I see you are in Phoenix, think about trying the dirt. get a 250x or similar and find the closest riding area. Just ask around and someone will show you the layout, I do it all the time. Great way to make friends and learn how to haul safely.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:43 PM

Very sorry to hear about this, thank goodness you are still with us.

Maybe take out a pen and paper and make a list with two columns

1. Pros of getting another bike

2. Cons of getting another bike

Be completely honest with yourself here, and list all the reasons.

Riding is also not for everyone. If you are not sure how or why you crashed, I'd be hesitant to recommend you just "getting back on the saddle."

There is much more to consider, like you yourself posted.

Only after considering all the options...and also considering the worst case scenarios....should you make your decision perhaps.

Originally Posted by Goloth
I'm not sure if this is the right section... But I'm having a problem... I got it in my head sometime last year that I wanted a motorcycle, I absolutely had to have one, and I needed one... So I struggled, and saved, and struggled s'more, and finally put out 1200 for a 1992CBR600F2. She was a beautiful bike, I loved her. On top of the 1200 I then put out another 600 for gear etc. Well about 3 days ago I got nervous (being a new rider and all, just finished the MSF course) because of a driver tailgating me as I got to my turning area...

I believe that I by self error, misjudged my entry speed, and laid the bike down at 30mph, totaling it. If it was not me who did it, the motorist close behind me clipped my rear fender at the least. Cause they saw me wreck, but they didn't stop. Either way, I am having some serious trouble regaining confidence, I might lose my job because I have missed a couple days in a row now due to this accident, and I am absolutely and totally conflicted over whether to get a new bike, or get a car now and give up on riding...

I want to ride again, but whenever I think about the crash, looking at my wrecked bike that I had worked so hard for... and thinking about the impact it had on my friends and family, (negatively) it makes it hard for me to figure out what I want to do. I was just wondering if you guys had any kind of advice as to what I could do to regain confidence, or decide what to do about this situation... thanks.