Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Rebuilding Confidence

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Confidence

So, a couple weeks ago, my best friend was killed in a motorcycle wreck... Since then, I havent been able to get back on my bike. I really want to ride, but part of me comes up with an excuse to drive instead of ride... I really dont know how else to explain it, but I really want to get back on two wheels...

Has anyone else ever dealt with this? How did you overcome the situation and get back on?

Old 07-16-2007, 05:09 PM
Default RE: Rebuilding Confidence

If you witnessed the death...I couldn't answer that. Haven't ever seen someone killed in a bike accident as it happened.

But, if you heard about it, and know the details, learn to use that knowledge to make yourself more aware and don't let the same thing happen to you.

If it were you that wrecked, and of course not killed, just get back on the horse...before you lose your nerve.

Good luck.

Expect the worst, hope for the best, and enjoy the middle.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:14 PM

well, my take on this is to not rush it. You didn't have an accident, so I don't think the "get back on the horse" theory applies here.

You're thinking about your own mortality, which is only natural. Only you can decide what is an acceptable risk to you, your family, and your loved ones. I wouldn't rush it one bit... if the gnawing is still there to get back on, it will keep gnawing at you and then you'll start to ride again.

If you're making up excuses to drive instead of ride, then don't ride. Only ride when you're in the right frame of mind and ready to ride.

Good luck and keep us up-to-date on how it goes.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

I sawa bikerkilled at a red light, car didn't stop and just plowed into him. It bothered me, but not a bike thing, just a person thing. It may just take some time for you, it may make you a better rider in time, some people get hurt because they ride stupid and tempt fate. Sorry for your loss, but try short easy rides for a while at off peak times.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:42 PM

Sorry for your loss. I agree that you shouldn't rush. Wait until you are in the right frame of mind. We can all agree that safe riding requires your undivided attention. You will know when the time is right.
Good luck and be safe.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:00 PM

oldfatguy nailed it again. you just relize that you can die, much easier on a bike than ridin in the cage. but you gotta realize that a piano or an anvil can fall on your head too.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Not sure how it feel's to lose someone in a sport you like, But when i crashed it took awhile to get my bike fixed back up not from no money but from things running through my head What if's.
I used my buddy 4 wheeler and then dirt bike finally it was time and my bike was complete. I still have thought's of what if but just go slow, after 2 months of being on the bike i still can't take a curve going more then 40.
Good luck and take it slow.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:47 PM

i laid the ol 1krr down 1 week ago today. its a love for the bike bro...u just gotta accept your probably gonna die everytime u start the damn thing....i was out rippin thru the turns today and loving it....i just tell myself suck it up...your gonna get knocked down tons of times in life....its if you can get up that defines u...