Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How to get over a fear or cornering

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default touring mountain twisties or track time

Every time I come back from a day or two of touring through the smokeys i Iearn something new every time. I think mainly because Ive riden through all weather conditions through the mountains for the last few seasons.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Checkers10160
Alright so, I recently got my first bike, a '91 CBR600F2. When I got it, it didn't have great tires on it. Sadly I have those same tires on it now, although it's only been like 2 weeks and a combined 5 miles at most of riding. Anyways, the tires need replacing, but there is still some tread. It's shallow, but it's there, so none of it is 'bald'. When I take a corner, even at a fairly low speed (At the limit or below), and even on a slight corner, no rain, etc etc I'm terrified my back tire is going to lose traction, and I'll low side and hit a tree and die or something. Who knows. Anyways, is this a legitimate fear? Or do my tires have to be pretty bad to just lose traction on a sunny, dry day? As soon as I get some money I will be replacing them, which will only be a week or two now. Which leads me to another question. What do I replace first? I sadly can't afford to replace them at the same time. And as a beginner who won't be riding like crazy, can I get cheap tires? Or do I really need the best tires? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just worried.

I'm a new rider myself, less than a year with street bikes...when my very first bike back tire started to wear I worried about same exact thing. I legit thought I was gonna fall over in a turn. I would clinch up, tighten up, and take the turn at a low low speed.

Few days later I was running late, forgot about the tire and was slamming turns without downshiftin'... what happened? I made it to work on time. No issues at all. The middle of my tire was BALD.

The thing that saved me was taking the MSF course, I knew what a slide felt ride...I knew not to over correct. The fears are legit, but having good habits instilled are the life saver.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by shockedimpy
Im nervous just as you are. I just bought my 06 F4i 1 week ago and got the bike dropped off on friday (10/12). I woke up early Saturday morning and was really nervous about it. I had to take it to a parking lot to get comfortable with the seating and feel. The bike is SO MUCH MORE powerful then the Honda Eliminator I was on during the MSF course a month back.

I am considerably nervous about cornering as well. Riding the past few days REALLY helped me out. I am NOT rushing anything and I am driving no faster then 35-45mph. Its a very scary thing riding something so fast and yet so freely exposed. Scary thinking if I have the proper reaction time at speeds over 20mph to slow down or swerve. But cornering is my pet peeve.

I have a brand new rear and almost new front tire. But I'm consistently told that any small thing can cause me to dump the bike on a turn/corner. I sorta feel like the bike will kick out at any issue on the road (water,leaf,oil). Which I am assuming is NOT usually the case. Im assuming the bike can handle its own in corners (wet,etc..) but my mindset is still very catious.

Ive learned to slow down while approaching a corner/turn and then maintain speed while in it, which scared me because what if something happens mid turn or Im already going to quick, what do I do? Apparently lean more, which I cannot comprehend or even picture myself doing. This is all still confusing to me.....

Technically you would want to bring the bike upright, front wheel straight, then hard brake. That's what I was taught. Coming around a turn too fast, you cannot use your rear brake or you will for sure slide...so stop the turn, ride straight, brake. I've used the maneuver to avoid a car stopped in a turn checking the mail.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt the same way with my f2. It was a combination of a bald tire and the tire being low pressure. The owner only had about 10lbs of air in the rear tire when i got it. I had the same feeling wen turning even super slow speed. Thought it was my imagination but now know my brain was trying to tell me something. The tires WERE slipping. When i put air in them it rode like a new bike and since i put a new tire on, it feels even better. One thing young, inexperienced guys neglect is tire wear, pressure and inspection. I inspect tires every ride and check the pressure every 2 or 3 rides. Theyre arguably the most important part on your bike!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChuckRuckus
Technically you would want to bring the bike upright, front wheel straight, then hard brake. That's what I was taught. Coming around a turn too fast, you cannot use your rear brake or you will for sure slide...so stop the turn, ride straight, brake. I've used the maneuver to avoid a car stopped in a turn checking the mail.
. I think practice, experience/time on bike will cure this. It will train your coordination to properly execute in a turn.