Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How to get over a fear or cornering

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
what happens if your turning really tight and your tire hits something plastic?

not a good idea.....

Aw true, didn't think of that.....good point!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 AM

This is all some really great advise.

Being comfortable on the bike requires seat time and roads that you know like the back of your hand. Limit variables like crappy roads, traffic, and police.

I usually do a similar route so I can get more comfy with the lean angle, and gearing for each turn.

But all that aside, remember you want some really good tires, because without good rubber your bike aint doin **** right.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:10 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good tire, good susoension set up .....comfort builds confidence...

All in all...your eyesight/view of line is first to inform your brain to react...then body muscle will follow.

I'm not worry about how fast I'm going fairlady...say about 100-200 feet prior to entry of corner/ lean, you better shed speed down to your comfort pace...once in a lean, maintain speed/torque...when confidence builds, you'll know how much to throttle out of turn, and some experience rider may even throttle thru a turn but BEWARE...**** may happen so fast it's unpredictable.

You view is key and vanishing point will factor speed...the closer vanishing point, the more anticipation you need cause you don't know what's coming....

Fear is always there...especially if you ride hard...it's controlling your fear so you won't freeze up...when needed to react.

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-19-2012 at 03:29 PM. Reason: profanity
Old 05-01-2012, 12:19 PM

So I have seen different ways of cornering, you have the slight hand braking method with 2 fingers and downshifting and then Cal superbike school teaches (according to the minimal youtube videos) that you don't use your brakes and just let the engine slow the bike down by downshifting.

Now I know conventional cornering and racing is totally different but which one do you guys prefer to use? I have been trying a little bit of both methods but due to my very new riding experience it's hard to say what is really working for me better.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by aslcbr600
So I have seen different ways of cornering, you have the slight hand braking method with 2 fingers and downshifting and then Cal superbike school teaches (according to the minimal youtube videos) that you don't use your brakes and just let the engine slow the bike down by downshifting.
Are you talking about twist of the wrist 2, that shows braking and downshifting for turns? You can do them together if skilled enough or break them up into separate steps like I have to.

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Lol dude remember: Yolie at the dealer with a $7k repair bill right now

I know exactly where you're coming from. Actually al lil worse off: I've gotten used to the BMW's weight and power. I just got my F4i on the road while Yolie gets her skeleton replaced. And the first ride on Ororo was about as shaky as when i first started. Never mind taking corners at speeds where I had to direct steer instead of counter-steer

Once I finally said "**** it, I ain't going down today", first thing I did was to find that planted feeling again. When I'm stable on the bike, I'm confident on the bike. And stability comes from body positioning. The leans come naturally from there.
No, I didn't forget, just wasn't really thinking about it. I kinda thought it was easier for more experienced riders to get back in their groove after a low side than a newer rider. I was working on body position when I wrecked, but was getting better until I froze. I suppose I'll start working on it again just take it slow so I don't induce survival reactions I can't control.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM

^
It all depends on the situation for the corner. If i am in traffic I use the brake to be able to keep my speed up until right before I turn, causing less jam behind me. However if i'm just cruising around and no one is behind me I will downshift and just cruise up to the turn. However don't just slam on the brakes, and make sure to use that signal, otherwise you might get rear ended by a cager thinking your planning on going straight! Try both, do what feel comfortable for the situation your in.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:24 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Ultilized all...

1. Front brake shed speed quickest....that's before entering a corner...you don't want to do that when in a lean. Say you about to enter a corner and then realized your going too hot...use both, downshift the apply both F/R brakes but front more pressure so you can shed speed fast.... But if your are going into corner conservative, I don't see the need to apply so much pressure on front brake when engine brake + rear brake can do the job so your right hand can focus on maintaining throttle. Ever try grabbing front brake without affecting throttle....it'd naturally when you grab front brake your throttle will ease up cause you have to let go a few fingers to grab brakes right.

2. Once you enter lean at the right speed, they say maintain speed but I rather say maintain torque....that's why they say don't grab the clutch when in a lean...if you need to slow down a bit just slightly tap the rear and ease throttle a bit...

3. How you control your line when in a lean....pressing inside bar or outside bar....inside bar more lean, outside bar less lean. Throttle can also control lean, less throttle creates more lean and increase throttle less lean, therefore it's much safer to throttle out of a corner because when you throttle, you are coming out, less lean....so grabbing clutch, loosing torque may cause a nose dive...

All that being said...it's just words on paper...we must practice practice practice....I'm less feared when cornering in full gear VS. no gear...

Try drag knee w/o knee pugs...lol.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 AM

Yea that's what I have been doing, if there are cars behind me I just use the brakes more and downshift the tighter turns I take in 2nd and the more rounded turns I just take at normal speed because they don't require a whole lot of lean or pushing.

One thing I am noticing is it's a whole lot easier for me to take left hand turns then right hand turns, is this a common thing when first starting to ride? I just dont feel as comfortable leaning more on the right hand turn as I do left.....I have to take the right hand turns much more conservatively then left.

In the videos I have seen they say not to do anything during the turn accept turn....no clutching, braking, or shifting everything should be done before the turn and if you absolutely need to to do something bring the bike upright to do so, I have been making that a habit too because if you grab the clutch while turning if you need more throttle your kinda screwed....

Old 05-02-2012, 12:48 AM
February 2012 ROTM

Left is your strong side, keep practicing your right....this is normal...try downhill right...even more tense. Just be more conservative when approaching right corner.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Left is your strong side, keep practicing your right....this is normal...try downhill right...even more tense. Just be more conservative when approaching right corner.
Yea I guess the left side just feels more natural, guess I will have to start taking more routes with right turns.

Quick Reply: How to get over a fear or cornering