F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Fear

Old 12-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fear

I just purchased two sweet '06 F4i's one for me, one for my son (17).

We both took the safety course last month and had a great time.

However, we've had the bikes about 3 weeks now and haven't ridden them much, just around the neighborhood. The problem is, I'm scared to death, everrytime we get ready to ride I tighten up and get nervous. ftre 10 minutes I'm exhausted menatlly from all the thinking and concentrating.

If a car comes anywhere near me I freak and want to pull over.

My son is not as apprehensive and at this point I am holding him back. Eventually Iwe need to get out there and deal with things like merging and stop lights.

I'm not usually like this, I snowboard and mountain bike no problem. Granted this is more compicated and the margin for error is much lower.

I've always wanted to ride, and I just know if I could get past my fear and gain some proficiency this would be fantastic.

But how do I get from here to there? any advice?

Old 12-23-2005, 11:54 PM
Default RE: Fear

Nice bike! I can understand your fear. I am new my self and I am still going through the class. The "fear" you are feeling is normal I think. It's just that some people will get over it faster then others. Keep ridding and you should be able to shake the "fear" off. Good luck.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:10 AM

wow I never really had the fear but I guess it takes a fall to get it out of your system spaek i hate to say it but thats the best way. as for confidence it will come. What you should do is find a nice open lot and take your bikes there to get a feel for them remember the classes stop quick, turn right turn left going over the obstacles. Now for me its a quick reaction I dont think anymore i just do "oh **** theres an accident right in front of me, Shift my weight over the rear, squeeze my breaks(dont just grabethem quick this will lead to you flipping your bike, and high siding is terrible)
down shift and be ready to release breaks and swerve on a moments notice. meanwhile looking behind you at the ******** coming up dont forget them. All this takes me less then a 1/2 second . i guess it take a person 3/4 of a second to react to a situation but I believe the didnt test motorcycle riders because if we lose concentration we die simple as that. day dream Well I hope it was good buddy cuz you are now dead. Some things you will have to learn on your own and will experience things that none of us have but just learn your bike what it does how it reacts and what are its limits you and your son should be fine. Good luck and see you on the road.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:30 AM

Sounds like you're worried about riding in traffic - perfectly understandable in fact, anyone who isn't concerned should be flogged. Maybe more seat time would help. Find a good trackday and spend some time on the bike. Once riding becomes less taxing (mentally) you can spend the necesarry energy scanning traffic and not get exhausted by trying to do too many things at once. Good luck, be safe

Old 12-24-2005, 12:55 AM

I was the same way when I first started riding. I would get nervous, sweat, and my hands would cramp up from squeezing the handles so tight.

This will go away as you get more comfortable. Nobody that's new likes riding next to other vehicles. It's kinda scary at first. You will get used to it tho man, and you'll embrace everything.

Just be careful, use good judgement, and stay off the freeway for a while, which I'm assuming you're going to do lol.

It probably wasn't the best idea to get a 17 y/o a bike tho. I remember being that young, I would do crazy things that looking back now at 21 it gives me the chills thinking about what I would do. Everone I know that has died or was seriously hurt on a bike was under 18... It's just too young to have this kind of power and machine inbetween your legs. But maybe your son has a good sense to him, and is responsible. I'm sure he is if you trust him with a bike.

Good luck man.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:10 AM

Fear is something you can't overcome. Don't force yourself to do something you can't. I got my bike before i took the safety course which gave me my license. So i was turning ok. I really wanted to know how to lean into the turn. I was really scared of how to do it because i didn't know how, so i never did. I got my confidence when i was in the safety course. Now, i try to take the turn into my development faster n faster everytime. I just have to be careful of rocks, sand, n oncoming cars ( very minimal).

This is what i said to my friends who wants a bike.
Start learning in your car. Start to predict what the other cars are about to do. Predict where they can see you and when they can see you. If you see a guy in the car looking in his side mirror, it usually means that he's going to turn. if you see a car speed by and there's nowhere to go but to cut you off, he's going to cut you off. Learn how to speed up and slow down to make yourself more visible. HAve your highbeams on, i keep them on on the highway at night, locals i turn them off so i don't blind the oncoming traffic. If you're really still afraid, maybe a bike just really isn't for you. As for your son, i know when i was 17-19 i always raced people with my car. That changed one day when i got into an accident n totaled my brand new car. I've always wanted a motorcycle but i knew i would die in one since i would do something really stupid with it. I finally got one now because I, myself showed to ME that i am responsible enough to handle one.

Old 12-24-2005, 02:22 AM

NICE BIKES!!
well first time is always scary but I suggest riding in a parking lot or something with no cars around.
but a suggestion for a first bike never get a whooping $9000 bike
should have gotten like a ninja 250 or something for a semester than upgrade.
I started on an F4 and I wasnt scared once I was riding it was more when I had to stop. I am small and had to lean the bike on a side just to touch the ground - VERY SCARY!
Now I have a sweet F4i that has been dropped an inch and I feel more comfortable, believe me, I might have sacrificed some ground clearance and maybe lean angle turns but it is worth it.

just take it slow around the block or find a big parking lot

Old 12-24-2005, 04:52 AM
L8X

i agree. you shoulda gotten a beater. but anyways try going out by yourself so you dont worry about holding back your son.

Old 12-24-2005, 06:56 AM

Probably should have started of with a GS500 or similar rather than a sports bike. I just upgraded after 6 months to an F4i. Glad i started on a GS500. I was also the same when I started - used to freak out when cars got around me & all the other stuff. I found that the only way to get over it was to ride as often as I could in low,low traffic situations to get my bike-craft skills up to the stage of everything happening automatically. Once I had the confidence & everthing came naturally with riding the bike I really concentrated on the road-craft side of it & built myself up to higher traffic situations.

Remember a car isn't going to intentionally run into you & a liitle bit of fear when riding is good - cause as they drill into you at the courses you always have to be alert.

Old 12-24-2005, 07:28 AM
Muz

I assume you got full gear, if you don't get some leathers quick.

I think you should definately go out and learn/practice without your son. That way you can concentrate on learning and getting used to riding with cars around and not spend have to worrying about your son as well. Once you get a bit a of confidence up then take your son out riding.

Also if your not confident with the basics go to a empty car park and practice practice practice.

[sm=signs003.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fear