Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do you resist the need for speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ten years ago when I first got a bike, I didn't resist the "need for speed". I was young and stupid. I have a wife and two kids now, I rarely think about the need for speed. (Unless I'm passing someone or the occasional off ramp).

Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM

I have a few routes that I typically go on when I ride around town and I know some sections that are a bit "safer" to ride quicker on. You know those spots: back roads that are smooth with little to no traffic, on ramps of highways, twisties that you've done over and over again.

I found it's tough to control "the beast" especially because my other mode of transportation is a Honda Civic. I think some of you guys and gals can relate.

When I go quicker than the flow of traffic, start to do the weave, open up the throttle a bit, I just remind myself of the consequences that could happen.

Someone could pullout in front of you, an animal could run out into the road, you could wreck... You never really know.

Everybody says take it to the track and I agree with that. If you got the money it's no problem. But since I am a college student trying to make ends meet, I can afford tickets, wrecks or track days yet. So that always helps.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by tucsondude
I do not 'resist the urge,' I just plan it which is not really any better. Whether you are weaving in and out of traffic or on a lonely 2 lane road, the consequences are the same and very real, and your time WILL come.

I always scout the road 1st for turnoffs, debris, tar snakes, driving culture, etc. When you do that it really reduces the opportunities to 'push the limits'.

If i am going to push it, I leave my house knowing exactly where and how I intend to do it, top speed run, or twisties.

Guess you haven't come around a corner(even a slight bend in the road) in a 45 to a semi trailer going up hill in 1st gear? you have 3 options, 1 brake while turning, 2 blindly pass, 3 go off a cliff or into the side. And those 3 assume you do not dump it.
option 2(3sorta) you take out a family on a sunday drive and have to live with maiming/killing toddlers.

I still stand by my post.... all the scenarios i have posted on this forum are learned from personal experience.

one of my threads, thought i was going 85%...maybe not so....

Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont! Why fight it....Admit your weak. Give into the darkside and Pay the Higher Insurance premiums.....

Old 02-08-2012, 03:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol right now the new bike is limiting itself to 130ish (hard 9k rev limiter during breakin). But it gets there quick

Old 02-09-2012, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by comodidit
The whole way I was working to keep my speed down, with the Ninja I just rode to the edge of where the bike felt comfortable, which was right around the speed limit. With the CBR I figured it would be the same, but even at speeds that I won't mention here the bike just felt....well... the only word I can think of is perfect.
.. i have the same problem.. riding around at 40mph in town seems like the bike wants to scream past every car on the road.. at 75mph it cant wait to catch up to the next one in the distance!

Old 02-10-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Yer right?? .... you obviously did not bother reading my post above, or you are too young? to even think that way way!!! bad type chit would, or ever will effect you , or get you on the roads ??

ow well ... take care man ...
Read every word. Mods may need a Humor button....At 45 years young and 22 Yrs as an Avid Road/Track enthusiast. Learned a long time ago what risks not to take on the public roadways of this great country. If I need to get my "Speed On"...I head to the track......

Last edited by Ironhead; 02-10-2012 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: How do you resist the need for speed?