Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do you resist the need for speed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know people are opposed to headphones while riding, but I find the right music can keep my throttle hand tame. Lately I've been listening to a soundtrack from an anime (Cowboy Bebop) that mostly consists of smooth jazz and blues and it's kept me behaving more often than not. Rise Against, RATM or Powerman 5000 gets me too much into "the mood" so I've put them on permaban from my riding soundtrack.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ haha i know what that's like. I try not to listen to metal while riding. It just makes me want to ride like hell.

Old 09-04-2011, 10:47 PM

i can't say that I have always kept my speed down, but when I get the urge i glance down at the pic of my 3 kids i have taped to the windscreen and everything is put back into prespective

Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sprock
More Traffic equals more resistance Less traffic less resistance , simply put it's a naturally occurring phenomenon.
So true On my early morning commute there's no traffic, I can open it up as much as conditions permit until I get near the city limits. Once I get in the city traffic becomes the limiting factor. My morning drivetime coincides with police shift change so it's very, very rare to encounter police cars or radar traps.

In the afternoon, the opposite is true. Radar traps are everywhere and I ride with the flow of traffic. Around prime radar sites I slow down even more, because traffic flow is normally a bit above the speed limit and if everyone's speeding and the cops have to pick one person out of the herd it'll be the guy on the bike.

The real danger for me is out on the highway anytime except very early morning, when there's a normal chance of encountering a speed trap. The Blackbird is just so smooth that unless you keep a constant eye on the speedo you'll find yourself going 50 (or 70, or 90) kph faster than you were a few minutes ago, without any conscious effort on your part. A $25 Vista Cruise is the solution to that.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:59 AM

I do get the urge but I tend to think about the consequences of speeding. Don't give me wrong I do get my little bursts of speed out here and there but I only do it when I'm on a clear road because I know what I'm capable of but I don't know what other drivers are. I'm only 24 by the way, just turned 24 in August an this is my first bike ever 92 cbr600 f2.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM

I'd be lying if I said I didn't go too fast at times but I do have a little rule, works for car driving too. Don't ever speed in limits of 40mph and below. Only open it right up on roads I know well and don't have major junctions or pavements, although on roads above my 40 mph rule I will go faster for quick overtakes.

I've been driving for 25 years, never had an accident or a driving conviction!
(I must be very lucky)

But yes, my 600, like yours, is a very bad influence.

Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Default How to resist....

Good question and great responses, How i resist the need for speed well I don't always but i will allow myself places that i consider safer to speed in, or at. Resisting the urge sometimes just isn't an option for some of us, that's why we ride. Keeping our bodies and bikes in one piece is usually at the top of our lists maybe not always in that order. I am not going to speed when i am in a blind turn or corner or through an intersection. Historically this is where bad things can and do occur. However the occasional on ramp to a freeway or deserted stretch of highway without any entrances or exits can be a better gamble in my mind. I am not suggesting you do anything I am saying here. But you asked, and I believe the just say no approach doesn't always work. Having a "safe" place to exercise our throttles can be a way to deal. Also instead of risking breaking the law ( which can **** off some folks) risking a heavy fine and an insurance premium increase. Or worse loosing a license, a wreck, or killing someone, spend the money and go to a track day, a safe and legal, and supervised way to hit the stops on your throttle. Maybe learn a thing or 2. A hell of a lot more fun than hiding from the cops. It may not be for everyone though.
I sometimes check out the u tube videos of wrecks and sometimes it's graphic enough for me to think twice.
Good luck

Old 02-06-2012, 03:23 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

I am sure someone has mentioned this.... I take it to a track. You can ride much faster on a track in a safer manner than you can on the street. The track also gives you the same corners over and over so you can use it as an opportunity to try different techniques or lines.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 AM

I test Einsteins theory...the faster you go, time starts to slow down and at my age I need it to slow down a bit. J/K

Old 02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You CAN'T resist....you just have to select the proper condition (TRACK IT ). Streets is for pleasure & the occassional squeeze at the right moment without potential hazards

but speed is not the only high, down hill cornering a big RUSH for me.

...having kids will also help you slow down...

Quick Reply: How do you resist the need for speed?