Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

How do you resist the need for speed?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 11:30 AM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not wanting ticket. I like the feel of shifting part more than speed. I might speed up to 5 mph over speed limit, but normally I stay there.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:05 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just think about sliding about 70-80 feet down the road, belly-down having taken a 35mph posted exit at +60-ish. Dang! Didn't mean to do that! And then reassuring the trucker, who went thru about 3/4 of a sec before me, (Ooo, would that have been ugly!?) that, "No, I'm fine."

Or, check out this Motorcyclist Killed After High-Speed Crash * WARNING PICTURES * - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
To put it into perspective. This one was pretty bad, the kid was an honors student and well liked, he just let it go to his head one night.

So just think about the waste and grief of street speed.

On a happier note, It's pretty darn cheap to look up the regional tracks and sign-up for track day! Then you don't have to resist at all!!

Ern

Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 PM

Just to clarify, I don't think I have a speed problem, I was just curious what people personally do to remind themselves that just because you can doesn't mean you should.

I'm saving for a trackday, but it will be a while before I've got that kind of money. 175+extra gear+rental truck and trailer + hotel room + food is a long way off when the take home income is less than 900$ a month.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:04 PM

At my setup on the cbr it makes it easy to cruise the speed limit but you have to want to go triple digits. Its 1 down 2 up gearing, it will still do highway speeds in 2nd gear before you have to shift though.
I also love the feeling of shifting more than the speed part. If I find myself over the speed limit by 5 or 10 I downshift and it normally keeps me in check.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM

Withthe power and handling these bike have they just want to fly. Just think of all the cagers on the street not looking out for you and dont forget the wildlife that likes to randomly cross the road. Thats what keeps my speed down but I like to turn it up from time to time. But honestly the track is the safest place for speed!!!! Nothing to worry about but the asphalt in front of you. No speed limits , cagers....

Old 04-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've begun to realize any idiot can twist the throttle and go fast in a line, but cornering hard, really leaning the bike is what separates the men from the boys. I'm maybe an early teenager in that scale right now, but I have more fun setting up for corners to rail than getting there at warp-5 and having to stand on the brakes and unsettle the bike to get down to cornering speed.

I actually notice in commuting traffic there are times I'm slower than other cars going my way cause I'm riding more cautiously and not darting in and out of traffic, unless it starts getting silly congested, then I find a way to break out or away from the cars around me, without risking jailtime for doing so.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
I actually notice in commuting traffic there are times I'm slower than other cars going my way cause I'm riding more cautiously and not darting in and out of traffic, unless it starts getting silly congested, then I find a way to break out or away from the cars around me, without risking jailtime for doing so.
Same here. I think in the beginning when I got used to with bike, I was trying to do faster turn, because I thought it was the thing to do. But now I am more concentrating on my timing of slowing down and looking and rolling the trottle and making the turn in one smooth move. I speed up if I am next to car I'm feeling vibe from like they are not going to see me.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:13 AM

The temptation is definitely there for me...especially when people are egging me on, or when babes are around

but, I just usually think about how awful it would be to crash my motorcycle. All the horrible outcomes...why even risk it?

YouTube - CBR 600 F3 0-270 km/h in 25s + Race Action vs ZX10R !!! in HD!

and I don't ride like that guy lol

Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 AM

I have more fun setting up for corners to rail than getting there at warp-5 and having to stand on the brakes and unsettle the bike to get down to cornering speed.
Couldn't agree more. And most guys don't figure that out til they have a lot of things on their plate ie. Mortgage, family, people that look up to and respect them.

I have more fun at 45 to 50 mph in the twisties than I do at 100+ on a straight somewhere, even at the track the straights bore me to death.

Last edited by zophar; 04-22-2011 at 08:02 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:27 AM
July 2008 ROTM

I don't resist the urge. I bottle it up, and then unleash it on the race tracks.

Quick Reply: How do you resist the need for speed?