Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.

Eyes off the road for one second= totaled bike

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
R.I.P. Jason
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch! There was a video on YouTube but I can't find it. It showed the cost of gear vs cost of body parts. It was cool.

I'm glad I got a forced break from work cause I've been burned out but not at the expense of riding time and my bike. I came out good on the end. Got the new one and bought mine back for $1150 so I hit a project track or stunt bike and I can teach the wifey how to ride without risking mine.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:30 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Damn man! Sounds like you had a time. Glad to see you're posting and bitching about rib pain. Means you survived

Heal up and let us know what's next
PAIN: The only reassurance that you're still alive.

Originally Posted by Spdyg_AK

Yes that's $200,000

Ouch! There was a video on YouTube but I can't find it. It showed the cost of gear vs cost of body parts. It was cool.

I'm glad I got a forced break from work cause I've been burned out but not at the expense of riding time and my bike. I came out good on the end. Got the new one and bought mine back for $1150 so I hit a project track or stunt bike and I can teach the wifey how to ride without risking mine.
FIGHTER THAT BISH!

Last edited by Conrice; 01-01-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn bud. Sounds very similar to mine. Hitting a left turn at 25 though. Ramped curb. Fingers resting on Front lever (Back didnt work). When the wheel hit the curb, turned my wheel left, shoving the front lever into my hand locking the wheel and a quick highside. Fortunately I wasnt that bad besides a bruised ego but was still able to pick her up and drive home. But almost ident in the one second look because I looked beyond the turn to make sure no cars were coming and didnt even get a chance to look back forward before I was staring at pavement.

I hope this doesnt give you trepidation for getting back on the bike. The remarkable thing is you are able to be here and share the experience. Any number of things could have made this so much worse including traffic.

Was this like a 2 lane road split by a median where the median was like 5-6 feet wide that is ramped on either side or one of those very slim ones thats almost like ramp up and ramp down looking like a roof?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:22 PM
R.I.P. Jason

It was a curb median not really angled much. Its a four lane street (2 N, 2S) with a turn lane down the center. The median is so people don't turn onto the railroad tracks and sit on the tracks. Several side streets right there.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 AM

Ouch Spdyg_AK your definitely lucky to be alive, glad your on the mend mate and wish you a speedy recovery.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:12 AM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Thanks for your gift to us all Spdyg_AK.

I'm just off for a ride...... and would have been ten miles down the road by now if I hadn't spotted this thread. It's stopped me in my tracks.....

Your story needs to be passed on. I shall start doing that to those that need to hear it as I'm sure others will.
Bestist UK wishes for a very speedy recovery. So glad you're on the mend.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:25 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a curb median not really angled much. Its a four lane street (2 N, 2S) with a turn lane down the center. The median is so people don't turn onto the railroad tracks and sit on the tracks. Several side streets right there.

Yea so easily rode up on it. Not a 90 degree right angle curb, such as a road to sidewalk curb is what I was intially thinking. Then I thought it may have had a slight ramp up to compress your shock and then open back up like that. Just trying to get the insight. Get well soon.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:26 AM
R.I.P. Jason

Thanks guys. We all hear about the wrecks where someone got run over or a speeding bike crash or a wheelie gone wrong but it happens in an instant in a regular ride home from dinner too. So frustrating that I just wasn't paying enough attention.
I hope this help save damage to the guy that just tosses on his helmet without strapping it or leaves the jacket for the quick run up the street by making them think twice about their gear.