F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

is the bike totaled??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the bike totaled??

Ok so i have a 2002 honda cbr f4i yellow/black went down for the first time last week rear tire locked up on me threw me off i highsided and my bike slid on its right side. I didnt have myjacket on so i got only a little rash on my right elbow and a tiny scrape on my left. Sore ankle but im fine walking just okay. So i got my bike towed to a shop because the right front brake lever broke off and the rear break lever was bent so i couldnt roll it home even tho i was right around the corner of my house because of a hill i had to go over on. So i have allstate insurance and reported it good thing i have full coverage and a extra $1000 damage for the after market exhaust and others like my helmet and jacket there going to cover. the shop i took it to gave me a estimate of 3,850 around that price. The guy at the shop says they usually total it if its 70% or more damaged. But he got prices for all OEM parts front cowl right side fairing break levers passenger foot peg becaust that scraped and a tiny scuff on the rear seat cowl piece, new handle bars. He said he can straighten out the handlebars and take out the rear cowl because its notbad at all just a little tiny scratch. So i said forget it and he faxed the estimate as is. I talked to my agent and he said they might total it also. He said if they do total it whatever they give you i will give u 1000 extra also h and take the bike off ur hands and they also have to give me my extra $1000 for extra mods. My question is what are the chances that they will total my bike?? Can i fight it? Should i just take the money and look for another bike for next season??

Old 10-19-2008, 03:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: is the bike totaled??

if they total it just buy it back from them cheap n then fix it.

Old 10-19-2008, 05:24 PM

my bike had about the same amount of damage a little more moneywise, but mine was totalled

Old 10-19-2008, 10:19 PM

if i buy it back from them the bike willhave a salvaged title and i will have to go through alot. Any other suggestions?? I will find out this week coming up if they are going to total it.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:25 PM

That last sentence was a little confusing.

The way I understand it is you will get 1000 extra from your agent for whatever reason, plus another 1000 for the added insurance(smart move btw) and then the blue book on the bike? We'll suppose that amount is 3000, a pretty liberal figure. Probably a bit more but for argument's sake that means you'll get about 5,000 for an 02 F4i, a pretty high figure for a 6 year old bike unless it's modded to hell. I say take the money and run. You can pick up an RR for that no problem....I would.

My advice, take the money and start looking now, you can find some good deals at the end of the riding season and even better ones in the off-season. That and I don't really like the idea of "straightening out the handlebars." For me, if they're bent I'm not taking chances in bad steering geometry.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:29 AM

Well i was told that no one really goes by kelly blue book anymore because they are not accurate. My insurance company which is allstate goes by what the majority of my bike and same amount of mileage is going for around the area. My insurance agent just wanted to give me 1000 just to get the bike off my hands because he says he can fix it easily and im thinking he wants to make a profit. My bike is not heavily modded just exhaust windscreen and thats pretty much it. The 1000 covers my helmet and jacket plus the exhaust and that adds up to 1000. I will find out this week what they are going to do. I didnt really want to get rid of the bike because its my first one and i like it but on the other handed i did want a RR before i got my bike. And that last sentence was im going to find out if they are going to say my bike is totaled and cut me a check.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:08 AM

okay, i had kinda the same problem.. i crashed my CBR F3 and it was worth 3,500 at the time, partsto fix it were 4,200. So it was totalled. You have to buy it back fromthe insurance companyfor $500 if its totalled(at least that what happened to me) so they gave me 3,500 and i gave them back 500, to keep my bike... I then had 3,000 plus my totalled bike. I had just the internals fixed for another $500... and in Arizona its no problem to get a salvaged title, very very easy just had to drive down to the dmv and have it changed to salvaged. i didnt even need it checked since i went through honda dealership.. now i have 2,500 plus a good running salvaged bike,then i sold for 1,800 so i got 4,300 plus about 1,000 from the gear that i wrecked.. so in the end i got $5,300 haha worked out verywell... Iput a down on my 2007 mazda 6 and got me and xbox 360 and a bigass LCD tv buy it back, fix it up, sell it, and buy a newer bike! it was easy but i did take a couple months, which is fine because its winter and you should be able to sell it right when spring hits... GOOD LUCK

Old 10-21-2008, 01:25 AM

ORIGINAL: F 16Mech

okay, i had kinda the same problem.. i crashed my CBR F3 and it was worth 3,500 at the time, partsto fix it were 4,200. So it was totalled. You have to buy it back fromthe insurance companyfor $500 if its totalled(at least that what happened to me) so they gave me 3,500 and i gave them back 500, to keep my bike... I then had 3,000 plus my totalled bike. I had just the internals fixed for another $500... and in Arizona its no problem to get a salvaged title, very very easy just had to drive down to the dmv and have it changed to salvaged. i didnt even need it checked since i went through honda dealership.. now i have 2,500 plus a good running salvaged bike,then i sold for 1,800 so i got 4,300 plus about 1,000 from the gear that i wrecked.. so in the end i got $5,300 haha worked out verywell... Iput a down on my 2007 mazda 6 and got me and xbox 360 and a bigass LCD tv buy it back, fix it up, sell it, and buy a newer bike! it was easy but i did take a couple months, which is fine because its winter and you should be able to sell it right when spring hits... GOOD LUCK

I hope you guys are taking notes

Old 10-22-2008, 03:03 AM

So i found out the bad news but good news today. My bike has officially been totaled even though its only cosmetic damages. They have me around 4600 for my 2002 honda cbr f4i plusthe extra 1000 they are giving mefor aftermarketmodswhich brings me to around 5,600. I asked them can i buy it back and they said no because its still a new year anything under 8 years old i cant buy back. I dont know if they are bull****ting me or what. Has anyone ever heard anything like this?? Oh well looks like i will be buying a 07-08 cbr RR or either a 2006 black ravenyamaha r1 minor scratch on the taili saw a really good deal for $6000. I think thats a good deal what do you guys think?? And dont bash me i love honda just like everyone else in this forum just saw a good deal and mite hop on it.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:53 AM

if you're having trouble with the F4i, do you think moving up into a higher power class is the best idea?

sounds like BS in regards to not being able to buy your bike back. Then again I've never gone through the process myself.

Note: I currently ride a 2002 F4i with Salvage title.

It sounds like there's considerably less damage to the bike than you're getting money for. I would press the issue, buy the bike back, fix it (it doesn't sound to me like there's more than $500 in REAL damage), ride it, use the money you saved to pay off some other debts, or save for your next bike.

the blonde weasel

Quick Reply: is the bike totaled??