Street Skills Information to keep you from rashing your bike or yourself. Safe riding techniques only please.
View Poll Results: In which condition, do you get more nervous riding?
Gust of wind
50.48%
Rain
49.52%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Which annoys you more.. Gusts of wind or rain

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wind for sure, rode today actually and it is windy as heck. came past an 18 wheeler doing about 85 and a gust hit me. Talk about pucker factor

Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM

I'm laughing at every one in here who doesn't think rain (and subsequently wet and slippery driving/riding surfaces) is worse than just wind.
We are riding two wheeled vehicles with what anyone could say, with an over-abundance of power, on tires with what, a two inch wide contact patch?

To the people that think wind is worse....are you all riding in hurricanes and tornadoes or something?

Rain (and wet surfaces) is much worse than wind (on dry surfaces).

Old 02-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike
I'm laughing at every one in here who doesn't think rain (and subsequently wet and slippery driving/riding surfaces) is worse than just wind.
As I said back in 2011 in this thread, rain is predictable, you can't see gusts of wind coming. I would much rather ride on a wet road than one with 30+ mph crosswind gusts. YMMV

Old 02-16-2013, 05:54 PM

will take rain over wind anyday

Old 02-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My first time in high wind plain sucked. It was constant, then would ease up, then hit you from nowhere. It really made me feel uncomfortable, very unstable and scared. My first time in rain was actually kinda fun. Had an open face helmet, the flippable visor, so vision was completely fine on the street. I could sense the level of traction of the tires for the condition, so i was able to judge how fast to go, and took corners slow. Wind is unpredictable, scary, dangerous in itself and increases the danger for the environment, traffic yur in. Rain by itself is predictable and more controllable. Not worried about being cold, just don't wanna die today

Old 02-26-2013, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Douglar
wind for sure, rode today actually and it is windy as heck. came past an 18 wheeler doing about 85 and a gust hit me. Talk about pucker factor
PUCKER FACTOR LOL!! True man. Even though rain makes things slick, f?ck a strong gust of wind suddenly hitting you and blowing you in front of diesel.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
As I said back in 2011 in this thread, rain is predictable, you can't see gusts of wind coming. I would much rather ride on a wet road than one with 30+ mph crosswind gusts. YMMV
My first time in high wind plain sucked. It was constant, then would ease up, then hit you from nowhere. It really made me feel uncomfortable, very unstable and scared. My first time in rain was actually kinda fun. Had an open face helmet, the flippable visor, so vision was completely fine on the street.
I've flown small airplanes before so I know how wind is and have dealt with it in that extent so it doesn't scare me quite as much.
Let's jump into a little bit of physics here.
For one, you are on a relatively small profiled motorcycle that has an even narrower head on profile; you are not in an 18-wheeler pulling essentially a wind-magnet behind you.
Secondly, the faster you are going, the less the wind affects you.
Next, the more you are tucked under the windshield and on the tank, the less the wind affects you.
Next, if your tires are sticky enough to hold your bike in place on a wet road, why do you think they won't hold going straight on a dry road with high winds?
The force of the wind can do one of two things (on a bike): it will either try to push you over to one side (like leaning/tipping the bike over) or it will push on the front of the bike and try to veer you in another direction.
Both of those forces are negated by counter steering, IF the wind gets that bad.
I've been behind semis before and while the wind was buffeting the crap out of me with a lot of 'turbulence' I never once felt that I didn't have control of the bike.

My advice for high winds: tuck down, stay as fast as safely possible, HOLD YOUR LINE* and don't worry about/ignore the winds.

*kinda like in Star Wars: A New Hope when they were runnin the exhaust port channel of the Death Star and Gold Leader told Gold Five to 'Stay on target!'.

He basically told Gold 5 to 'hold his line' and not worry about any cross-fire.

Last edited by Sportbike_Mike; 02-27-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:34 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sportbike_Mike

*kinda like in Star Wars: A New Hope when they were runnin the exhaust port channel of the Death Star and Gold Leader told Gold Five to 'Stay on target!'.
But didn't the guy who said that get blown up?

Old 02-27-2013, 11:51 AM

i hate wind. i've been pushed off the rode into the ditch on my first 250. was a scary experience. thankfully i was wearing a helmet. i had the bike leaned as far sideways without knee draging and it still got me. i rode through the ditch like i was on a dirt bike before coming to a stop and thanking god i wasn't messed up.

Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 PM

Well the title asks "Which annoys you more". So we can argue about real danger of both, but it's opinion. But since there's plenty of DEBATE, let's say both are technically equally dangerous. BUT, for many little technical and totally personal reasons, WIND makes you MUCH more uncomfortable than RAIN (maybe you're 125 pounds with big hair). Then WIND is MUCH more dangerous, so to speak. For You. You see, there have been many times when I got very scared on a bike, maybe turning slow, a gust of wind, whatever. When I get scared, freaked out, my riding skills, knowledge, control tend to take a BIG hit. I tense up, lose my ability to think logically, etc. This make me 10 times more likely to get into an accident and maybe 20 times more likely in traffic. Individuality makes a big difference here and I F#$king HATE high, unpredictable wind, unless it's coming right at me. My confindence level goes way down and focus gets taken away from other things.

Last edited by outsider; 02-28-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Which annoys you more.. Gusts of wind or rain