Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country Trip!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cross Country Trip!!

So, me and a buddy are planning a cross country bike ride. We are planning on starting here in GA and going to my old home town of Anchorage, Alaska and back. I have figured up that round trip is only about 9400 miles, but we have rounded up to about 10000 miles with all the sightseeing stops and what-not along the way.

We have planned this for May - June of 2009. That gives us 2 years of planning and preping. We have to get the bikes and all the gear ready before we just go.

I am torn on which bike to get myself. I am leaning towards a KTM 990 Adventure, but my buddy is going with a BMW 1200 GS. I love my CBR, but not on such a long trip that we plan on going off road on.

When we get the route finalized I will post it up. There will also be video and pictures to follow.

If anyone has any insight on bike campgrounds and can share it that would be great.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cross Country Trip!!

I'd be tempted by the ktm offering as well... I'd also look at the smaller BMWs... on the highway the size will make only marginal differences, but on the dirt you'll definately want the smaller bike.

Sounds great... keep us posted.

I'll be logging some trips on my CBR this summer, and will post up if anyone is interested.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cross Country Trip!!

Me and my buddy were thinking and we would like for this to be more than the two of us jumping on our bikes and riding. We want to give it a purpose of some sort. I was thinking about collecting donations and giving all the money collected to families of fallen soldiers. I would even like to go and meet some of the familes that have lost loved ones over-seas and say thank you.

I was a grunt myself and something like that would have meant a lot to my family had this "average Joe" been a causalty of war. I know of some charaties out there, but not many that relate to this kind of thing.
If anyone has any info that they would like to share and shed some light on this for me that would be great.

Like I said, we want this to be more than two guys just jumpin on bikes and riding around the country.