Road Racing Tell your stories here.

Taking the Turns

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 02:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking the Turns

Help me out here so can anyone give me pointers on taking the corners a little faster?
I see all these guys putting there knee down but how.
Any kind of practice moves or something.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Taking the Turns

well...i wouldn't focus on putting the knee down just yet...but more on body positioning.
basically you want to get out of the back vs. being straight up and down in it as they teach in MSF. you'll need some reading materials, like twist of the wrist and twist of the wrist II...both are a bit plain to read but content is just awesome.

Old 08-01-2006, 01:29 PM

ORIGINAL: jasonb

Help me out here so can anyone give me pointers on taking the corners a little faster?
+1 Good answer Taho.

Jason, I wouldn't worry about being "faster" through a turn, but focus on being "smoother" through a turn...a combination of body position, braking and throttle control will get you through it and it's something that's difficult to describe through an Internet forum. Get Twist of the Wrist II, Total Control and Sport Bike Riding Techniques and read those cover to cover get some personal instruction from an experienced track rider (one with great form) and practice. Put your bike on a rear stand, get on your bike and practice your body position until it feels natural and most importantly...DON'T PRACTICE ON THE STREETS!!! Take it to a track where it's controlled, safe and predictable!

Once you get smoother, faster will be the natural result...

Old 08-01-2006, 02:07 PM

Thanks guys I will go looking for these titles thanks.

Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 PM

Doesnt Andrew Trevitt have a good book also? I dont remember who it was either an editor from Motorcyclist or Cycle World, they also have a good read. There are tons of things on the internet.
Read on the left hand side of this page to see the titles of the chapter, some very helpful and interesting reads in there. I havent read all of it yet, but it is worth a browse.
http://www.msgroup.org/DISCUSS.asp

Dont worry about dragging a knee. I know several people that can do it and I occasionally do, and I can keep up with them sitting bolt upright on the seat and not hanging off at all. So, hanging off doesnt mean your fast, it just means your hanging off. Eventually, it will become a necessity at the track if you get good enough, but for the street.......forget about it. It does make a good picture, but I reserve mine for the track. Good luck in your quest for knowledge. Let us know if you need more.

Old 08-02-2006, 03:37 AM

ORIGINAL: gixxereater

Dont worry about dragging a knee. I know several people that can do it and I occasionally do, and I can keep up with them sitting bolt upright on the seat and not hanging off at all. So, hanging off doesnt mean your fast, it just means your hanging off. Eventually, it will become a necessity at the track if you get good enough, but for the street.......forget about it. It does make a good picture, but I reserve mine for the track. Good luck in your quest for knowledge. Let us know if you need more.

I agree with the "not for the street part," but not the "just means you're haning off" part.

Its is a track technique, but "hanging off the bike" (man I hate using the expression) reduces lean angle and gives the rider more contact patch on the road surface...so in my opinion it is a pretty important element of sport bike riding and not only for the track...if you're riding a track oriented bike I'd hope you'd know some track techniques...you'll probably look like a squid doing it on every turn while street riding, but it's a vital technique to know...for me, dragging the knee is mostly about show, because I know those darn track photographers are snapping pictures and I want to get a good shot to show off to my friends well...that's not the only reason, but that's the honest reason...do you know how expensive those knee pucks are! [:@]

Old 08-02-2006, 08:03 AM

Oh, I agree, it is important and like I said, at some point in your track experience it will become necessary. Just because you're dragging a knee doesnt necessaryily make you fast. I do it at the track and even on the street sometimes, (weighting the peg, not draggin knee) (You like wieghting peg better than hanging off?). My point was that dragging a knee isnt necessary all the time to keep a brisk pace. I can run with people that are dragging a knee in every corner and never put mine on the ground, probably because at that point Im getting lazy and not off the bike as far as I need to be. Pucks.........$30 a set. I dont go through very many, infact Im still on my first set since I bought new pants.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this one dude at buttonwillow last year...hung out in our tent with us...mang...he was FAST...fully worked over F4i...running in race group, passing racers, etc...his pucks...shiniest ones i've ever seen mang!

his body positioning was just awesome...he wasn't in the saddle, wasn't hanging off like a monkey...it was just wierd, almost like he was just stuck to the side of his bike...on the fairing...i can't explain it...but he was fast...

dragging knee doesn't mean you're fast...but it can make you feel like you just put a few inches on your you know what and makes you feel fast! hahahhah...

t