Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

LEANING IN TURNS

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LEANING IN TURNS

A friend of mine who is probably the best rider I know, and I've ridden with some very good riders, tells me that in a left hand turn there is no weight on his left foot. So I tried to do the same but there is no way I can do it. Is this this guy full of crap or am I just doing something wrong? The reason I asked is because I'm coming close to dragging peg and if all my wieght is on the left side in a left hander I'm worried that it's going to lift the rear wheel off the ground and cause me to crash. I know the pegs are designed to fold back but I don't see how that is going to happen when all my weight is on that side.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: LEANING IN TURNS

Wot he means is that there is "Less" weight on his left foot, (usually pushing down & transferring the weight to the right peg)The foot pegs are designed (with the "hero" *****) to move upward (even with your weight on them).Once mastered you just "skim" the pegs across the surface of the road. but it is not always necessary to do this getting your knee down Don't let your friends advice affect your head at this stage. Everyone has their own technique, sure you can cop a bit of usefull advice and get wot you need from it. But giving advice to someone else who's been riding a while about cornering, is like teaching someone to that writes with their hands, to start writing with their feet. Get your knee down in your own time, when your comfortable with it, don't rush anthing ok. The 1st time you do it will be like "WOW".
and before you know it, you won't even be thinking about it when it happens. Just be carefull after the 1st time, that you don't try & put your knee down for every bloody corner. Just take your time & good luck

Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM

Still haven't leaned it that far...might take being at a track for me to get the nerve.

Any tracks in Massachusetts?

Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think there would be a mess in my pants if i were to touch the peg feeler!!!!!!!! that seems SO far over!

Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 PM

Any tracks in Massachusetts?
I'm wondering the same thing.

As for the original question. I would guess the other guy is talking about counter balancing. So your pushing down left into the corner but keeping your weight over the center of the bike keeping the rear tire planted. I would think more weight on the right hand side peg(even though your leaning left) would help keep the rear planted.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:38 AM

I know of a few nascar tracks in Mass, but I'm not sure if there are any track days for motorcycles. I think your best bet would be NHIS up at Loudon, NH.

Old 07-20-2007, 06:17 AM

wow on my technique after a while at lean i can feel my knees giving and its painful from the G's from the weight i'm pushin on the footpegs....

Old 07-20-2007, 06:19 AM

tweat avatars halarious....that you?...if it is you shoulda just gave that cop the universal head nod "sup" lol

Old 07-20-2007, 08:10 AM

Audi, oh no way thats not me!! haha. I just love the pic.

and btw do you have an audi? cuz I got a 2000 a4 and I love it.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 PM

So what is correct? Do you put the weight on the opposite or same side as you're turning? I've heard both and I'm not sure which is correct.

Mike

Quick Reply: LEANING IN TURNS