Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

When you bought your bike...did you ride it back?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trucked it

I got my bike (01 f4i 600) from about 3 hours away and dont have my license yet and let my temps expire. this is my first bike but ive ridden dirt bikes quite a bit. When I went to check out my bike I watch the guy drive it around and looked for problems and was pretty happy with it, went to test drive it down the parking lot and back and was a little scared to try (first time on a 600 sportsbike). I stalled it twice because i wasnt sure how much power it was going to have or anything so i didnt want to give it much gas. bought it and trucked it home. Got home after close to 7 hours of riding around with 3 people in a truck big enough for 2 and got the bike off. I decided I just went a pretty long ways and want to ride it so I backed it up and eased into it and was off, felt just like riding a dirtbike after that. Im still used to the tuner car world where red line is 7k so i never took the bike over 6 but I went through my neighbor hood and got on it on the way back and got up to about 65 or so. long story short its 11 pm and neighbor came out screaming that I was keeping her kids from going to school in the morning and preventing her from doing what she needed to do tomorrow. I laughed and put it in the garage till i get plates and insurance but i cant wait till I can have it legally on the road

Old 03-24-2011, 12:21 PM

My first bike was a Yamaha 125 Dirtbike and I was a kid that could barley reach the ground with my feet. Dad and I picked her up from dealership then took her to property where I rode the daylights out of it.

First Street bike was a 02 CBR F4i. After meeting the seller we agreeded to take it to a shop of my choice where I had a full tune up, inspection, oil change and new spark plugs installed. When it was done I left my car at the shop and drove her back to College at the time. I only had the option of a 15 min highway ride and was like this is a dream come true. Biggest smile then a little twist of my wrist and I was thinking oh man.... this is amazing and fast as F*** hahah

Old 03-24-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought mine in December from a guy in Indiana. I drove about an hour in a snowstorm with the bike in the back and the whole time wondering how me and my friend were going to get it out. We're both skinny runners and we didn't have a ramp... So we ended up strapping a ladder to the tailgate and putting a 1x6 on it. It was so icy that when we got it down we couldn't stop it from sliding back!!

Speaking of, I just put the bike in the truck and took it out by myself today for the first time! Yeah never again.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 AM
Default Wasn't expecting to buy a bike.

My wife and I went for a Sunday drive in my Wrangler with the top down. After getting ice cream we continued on an aimless venture and saw a f3 on the side of the road with a for sale sign. The owner came out and I told him that I was just looking and kicking tires (I bought the Jeep to quell my thirst for a motorcycle). The owner proceeded to tell me that he was getting married and was trying to finish the house for when she moved in. He had hardwood floors being delivered on Tuesday so he asked me how a $1,000 sounded. I reminded him that I was just looking and went back to my Jeep. As I drove away my wife asked me what the guy said and after I told her the price she asked me "Well?". I told her that I would be okay but she continued to prompt me to buy the bike.

I bought it the next day and rode it home (I had my motorcycle license for 4 years at the time). I now have had the bike for two years and average 6,500 miles/year. I can't imagine not having a bike now. By the way, I am obviously still happily married.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by BrentUSNss
As I drove away my wife asked me what the guy said and after I told her the price she asked me "Well?". I told her that I would be okay but she continued to prompt me to buy the bike.
You definitely have a winner there, I hope my future wife is that cool! So far, I haven't had a single girlfriend who has liked that I have a bike (and I thought bikes were supposed to be chick magnets ).

My first bike was an 89 Ninja 600r, I had to borrow a buddies truck to take it to the shop because it had a punctured front tire. As soon as the shop passed it for state inspection, I got my tag and rode it home. I had ridden a few friends bikes previously and passed my MSF course already so it wasn't too new. First time riding a sport bike though so even that retro riding position felt way leaned over and the power felt insane! had that bike for 2.5 years and 8000 miles before I sold it to another guy as his first bike.

The current f4i is my 2nd bike and the previous owner actually drove it to my house since he still had it tagged. After I took him back home I had to go out and take it for a spin, man this thing put my old ninja to shame .

I was lucky enough to drive my friends 05 636 home for him the day he bought it because he wasn't comfortable taking it on the highway. This was back when I had my old ninja and that 636 was an absolute blast to ride.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:26 PM

I bought it 5miles from my residence... Yes

Old 04-03-2011, 11:49 PM

I bought mine about 25 minutes from home. This was my first bike so I didn't want to ride it back. My girl friends dad said he had ridin a few harleys...

He took it on a test drive down a pretty straight street. I saw the back wheel kind of skid out on him and it looked like he was going to crash. When he came back I asked what happend and he said when you shift on a Harley you shift down to go into a higher gear....... hahahah at the time i believed him but really he is just full of ****.

Anyways, I followed him back home and it was the most nerve racking experiance of my life. He is pretty short and could barely reach the ground at stops. He would also get so close to other cars on stop it was retarded.

We get 1 mile from home and a ****ing cop pulls us over. because we have no plates on the bike yet. Of course with our cops in my town being dicks they give us a ticket...

Long story short I pay the ticket for $150. I should of just rented a truck and put the bike in the back. Lesso learned.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:45 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ljastangs21
Long story short I pay the ticket for $150. I should of just rented a truck and put the bike in the back. Lesso learned.
I always thought that when purchasing a vehicle you could drive it back to your home from wherever you bought it (within reason, not halfway across the country) without having to get plates on it. You had to have the bill of sale and any supporting documents to prove that you just bought it.

Where was this at?

Old 04-05-2011, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
I always thought that when purchasing a vehicle you could drive it back to your home from wherever you bought it (within reason, not halfway across the country) without having to get plates on it. You had to have the bill of sale and any supporting documents to prove that you just bought it.

Where was this at?
This was in Cincnnati, Ohio. It didn't help that the guy riding it back didn't have a motorcycle license... haha.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered Users

my first bike 92 ninja 600 put it in the back of my buddys van and brought it home what a piece of junk that thing spent more time in the shop then with me until i got fed up and let it go. looked on craigslist for about 2 weeks this one cbr kept popping up i liked it but it had been up for so long i just figured it was already sold and the seller didnt delete the post. finally find a 2000 yzf 600 went to look at it like came to an agreement and then asked the guy if i could pay him and give me the title to get tags and all so i could bring her home for some reason he thought this was sketchy and said no THANK GOD!. came home diassapointed and the itch i needed a bike asap and that cbr kept popping up so i said screw it let me call, no answer dammit so mad i didnt even leave a message dude calls back still got it but someones coming to look at it. Im about 25 min away i convince the guy to let me check it out i show up before the other buyer and as soon as i sat on her i said to myself this is the one made my offer cash in hand and then the other guy shows up not knowing im there looking to buy gives an offer $1000 less then mine i looked at the owner and said give me a call as im driving down the road i get a call "when do you want to pick it up" uhhh right now! popped a u turn luckily had my plate from my ninja with me paid him put the plate on started jumped on her ( im short) lol. extremely excited and nervous so much more power then my last bike still a beginner barely rode the ninja and had to get on the freeway to get home. everything felt so natural never staled it shes a blast to ride that was 3 years ago and every time i get on her it feels like the very first time minus the nervousness just excitement. sorry for the essay F3 baby!

Quick Reply: When you bought your bike...did you ride it back?