Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Gravel Roads...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eh...just keep it under 30. I've hit 30 on really loose uphill gravel and done it multiple times. I live up a gravel hill so it's really unavoidable.

When things get tricky is when you need to turn. Number one tip...DO NOT use the front brake AT ALL. You can easily lose control if you do. ONLY use the rear brake if you have to, I tent to stick with just engine braking, works best. Make all your movements smoothly, don't lean etc...

OH, and this seems like an appropriate thread to put this video in...

Last edited by That Guy in Maine; 07-20-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 PM

Haha wow, yeah loose gravel isn't fun, I used to have to ride on about 400 feet of it at my old job to get to my parking spot. I only felt comfortable going about 10mph. But if it's packed gravel or oil and stone that's been driven on a lot you'll be fine. I ride packed oil and stone like I ride normal black top with just a little less lean.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:14 PM

What part of Ohio are you in?

Old 07-21-2012, 03:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say go for it, but I grew up riding dirt bikes and am used to conditions like that. Everyone has offered excellent advise. No leaning, no front brake, easy on the wrist (and I mean really easy, especially when letting off), and keep your speed low. Dirt is very different than pavement. It's kind of like being on snowy roads in a car.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:18 PM

Can you put it in the he'd of you truck? Or maybe tow it but I think that'd be a little sketchy too

Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ridden my '08 1000RR on 3-4 mile stretches of gravel roads. I keep the speed down to below 20 mph and try to stay out of the center of the road where the really loose gravel is. If you stay in the paths where the cars and trucks have packed things down pretty well with their tires there isn't as much loose gravel and you should be fine.

You'll want to give it a good wash afterward because a dry gravel road makes things very dusty.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 AM

even though you already went for posterity i would say no....
used to do it on my f2, then that hard packed dirt cracked and i went into 2 inches of loose sand, in a corner and front wheel immediatly stopped. then did a 180 lowside, at 10mph and 10k rpm...

also the rocks from your tires will beat up the plastics and radiator pretty good.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

I've gotta agree with the guys advising against willingly submitting yourself to 7 miles of torture on a road bike, clearly not designed to be used as an off-roader.

I grew up on dirt bikes and have absolutely no fear of gravel roads on a bike set up for it.

I think the biggest difference is the higher, wider bars on a chook chaser. They will instil much more confidence, as you're much more in control of the front wheel rather than it telling you what it wants to do.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM

Thanks for all the replies! Just got back from my trip and Im very glad I didnt ride my bike on those roads.... they just re-graveled it so it is probably 4in of loose gravel. I actually blew a tire on my truck.. :/ because it was so bumpy. and almost went off the road a few times... sorry i couldnt take pics it was storming and didnt remember.

What part of Ohio are you in? -- I live in Fairfield. just 30 mins from cincinnati

But I am determined to ride down there one time this summer. a few options are: have family bring my trailer, but its a long drive. : leave bike at gatehouse, but its my baby and I hate leaving her outside. so I will probably do the latter but it will hurt to leave her there.

< that video is insane! but I gotta say, the roads i would be on are much more hilly and bumpy (12in potholes) with a lake on one edge of the road, one slip up and she'll be swimmin. not to mention the wildlife, plenty of deer, fox, turkey, turtles etc...

Old 07-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
I've gotta agree with the guys advising against willingly submitting yourself to 7 miles of torture on a road bike, clearly not designed to be used as an off-roader.

I grew up on dirt bikes and have absolutely no fear of gravel roads on a bike set up for it.

I think the biggest difference is the higher, wider bars on a chook chaser. They will instil much more confidence, as you're much more in control of the front wheel rather than it telling you what it wants to do.

Very good point. I've put in many miles on gravel, but definitely feel less comfortable on gravel with the CBR than the dual purpose or UJMs I used to ride.

Different bikes for different roads.