F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

DAMN GRAVEL!!!

Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DAMN GRAVEL!!!

Yeah, i was riding around in a neighborhood, and I took a left turn going about 40 mph. Turn wasn't really tight, and I wasn't leaning that much yet, so I figured i'm still riding safe. Next thing I know, there's a bunch of gravel and I run right over it. I could feel my back tire slip and it started to slide to the right. All I know is since my rear was sliding right, the bike started to lean more towards the left heading straight for the ground.

I don't know how, but I managed to get it up and went through a major wobble but managed to control it before I hit the curb on my right side.

Scary stuff. Weird thing is that part of the neighbor hood's streets is pretty smooth. It was just that turn that had gravel.

Just wanted to share my scary experience, I still haven't crashed or anything yet, so every close encounter is scary for me. Ride safe everyone.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DAMN GRAVEL!!!

Had almost the same experience, but mine was from me taking a corner to aggressively with cold tires on a cold street. Back end kicked out, a turned into the slide, stayed on the throttle and managed to make it appear like it was an intentional drift (couple buddies were following me). They thought I did it on purpose (but I'm telling you all the truth, I kept it from them, LOL!)

Still, now that I think about it more, I was pretty scarry. Happens so quickly. Amazing how the brain reacts so fast without you even having the time to think about it. Good to hear you didn't lay it down.

Old 02-12-2007, 06:58 PM

One time i was going into my girlfriends sidewalk but since she lives on a corner and i forgot about the bump over the sidewalk i hit that bump my hand slipped from the clutch so i passed the curb and hit the grass and a pile of 3 foot....i went from 15 mph to 0 in less than a foot and just fell over.....nothing bad but a broken shifter **** and a hurt ankle and my ego from all the kids in the school bus turning in

Old 02-12-2007, 10:59 PM
Retired Moderator

Gravel pisses me off! Some friends and I went on a ride on the backroads a few towns over and back again. On the way back, we hit a road that continued for about 20 miles. It seemed like every turn had hand strewn gravel across the road. Must have been a lot of gravel trucks hauling through that area during the daytime. Anyway, every turn gave me a reason to pucker something fierce, as it was night, bugs covered my visor, and I had forgotten to put my contacts in. I hate gravel.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:05 PM

Glad you're ok!

+ 1,000 on the gravel