Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Gravel Roads...?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Default Gravel Roads...?

Alright guys, so my family has a house on elk lake KY. Its about an hr and a half from my house in Ohio and the roads there are through the mountains. I would LOVE to ride my bike down there especially through the twistys. But there is 1 problem, once you get to the lake, I have to drive on 7 miles of gravel, hilly roads around the lake.

Is this impossible or does anyone else ride on back-country gravel roads? any suggestions? Im going down in the morning and really wanna take my motorcycle!

Old 07-20-2012, 04:41 PM

just need to stay slow and be easy on the throttle.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM

Hard packed dirt roads are one thing, slow and go.

Gravel is an entirely different monster. No way I'd go 7 miles on gravel or sand.

Old 07-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer

easy on the throttle, stay upright, be ready on the clutch

Old 07-20-2012, 05:59 PM

This will have to be a personal decision on your part, whether you ride your bike on that type of surface/terrain or not. If you plan to, get a rear tire hugger to protect the rest of the components from rock/debris being thrown.

On a side note, sometime ago I read about a guy that had a Ducati Monster that rode it all over creation & I believe up to Alaska, etc. That bike went everywhere. However, that was a naked bike - no fairings, & had a bit more travel in the suspension than pure sport bikes.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

If they're hard-pack gravel, it's not too bad. Just keep your speed down, rear brake
ONLY, Look ahead (not down at the gravel) and easy throttle. If you view it as a
challenge, it can be fun (as long as you take it easy). If you stick to the tire ruts,
they are usually better packed/smoother. Just be cool transitioning to a turn-off
or when crossing the center section.

If it's a loose-pack, soft gravel. 7+ miles can be rather stressful. Still do-able,
all of the same advice, but you will be a lot more worn out, when you get to your
destination. On the out-bound trip, I would add extra time for a break before the
last leg, when you get back to the paved roads.

It might be a good idea to give your folks a heads-up on what time to expect you.
Just in case, so they'll know when to be concerned and go looking.
At least this first time, till you get used to the road.

Good luck, whichever way you decide, Ern

Last edited by MadHattr059; 07-20-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 PM

I wouldn't do it. And Yolie has traction control. : p

At work, the employee parking lot is semi-loose gravel. Tried it on Day 1 and immediately parked in a manager's spot till they designated motorcycle parking. The back end was fine thanks to the DTC. But the front kept wanting to break loose

Old 07-20-2012, 09:37 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys! yeah.. I drove home from there last night and almost went off the road twice in my truck.. very loose brand new gravel and the hills are steep.. not only that but the deer are everywhere and wouldnt wanna collide with one of them on a bike. I feel stupid for thinking I could do that on a motorcycle.
if I end up riding my bike I think ill have to have someone pick me up and leave my bike at the front gate. hopefully I dont get too courageous and something stupid happens

Ill post some pics of the roads and show ya what im dealing with when I get back!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:39 PM

personally i wouldnt, but hey man like they said if its well packed its not to bad, I keep the rpms low to avoid spinning the tire and def rear brake only. All good advice from the posts above. But def take your time and stick to the tire tracks! Best of luck homey!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM

Does someone have a truck or a trailer to pick you up at the gate?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gravel Roads...?

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.