Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Corner fast ... don't crash! (Important update pg4 body steer)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Corner fast ... don't crash!

ORIGINAL: ffingers

sorry for the rambling post, but this is quite possibly one of the most important things to learn on a bike other than wear your gear !
I love it when someone knows exactly what I'm talking about and I also am so glad to hear some of you didn't know about this stuff ... which means you now do ... which means you'll try it ... which means your odds of staying alive have just dramatically improved in the long run ... this stuff is the gospel, please please learn it, practice it, enjoy it. It's the truth about how a bike really handles ....

Old 03-27-2008, 08:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best to learn a habit from the get go. I learned it during MSF. The instructor....get this his name was Stoney....the other instructor was Rock....anyway....He placed his legs around the front tire...told us to look to the right and push with the right handlebar. I tried to force a lean with my body too...he said no...just push forward on the right handlebar. He said good...now look left and push left. I did it. Still scared me during the class and I doubt I did it right then but as soon as I got my bike, I started practicing what I was taught and was completely amazed by the outcome. I've been preaching it every since. Look right, press right.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM

ORIGINAL: woo545

Best to learn a habit from the get go. I learned it during MSF. The instructor....get this his name was Stoney....the other instructor was Rock....anyway....He placed his legs around the front tire...told us to look to the right and push with the right handlebar. I tried to force a lean with my body too...he said no...just push forward on the right handlebar. He said good...now look left and push left. I did it. Still scared me during the class and I doubt I did it right then but as soon as I got my bike, I started practicing what I was taught and was completely amazed by the outcome. I've been preaching it every since. Look right, press right.
I learned it from the get go too .. my dad wouldn't let me out of his site until he could see I had it down properly .. I've been using it for 16 years now ... works for me :-)

Jules

Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I like about this, is it's a more scientific explanation. It makes it easier to understand the physics. It's much better than just saying "it's the way it is." Gives it purpose and makes it easier to accept.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:34 PM

sorry I'm tired and this is an unashamed BUMP *sowwy*

Jules

Old 03-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To anyone who doesn't believe in counter steering, try riding with just your right hand. Push forward on the bar and the bike goes to the right even though you're steering 'left'. Counter steering comes in to its own when you have to steer sharply, to avoid a brick for example. It's something everyone should practice on a regular basis ( along with hard braking ), 'cos if you don't, when the time comes and you need it, you'll end up shiny side down. Learn counter steering, always warm your tyres up, never trust a car driver, and in corners, don't try to guess the appropriate speed - get in the appropriate gear. Never ride in anger. Thats my two penneth! Hey, it's nice to see some Britts on here for a change!

Old 04-27-2008, 08:43 AM

ORIGINAL: carl panther

To anyone who doesn't believe in counter steering, try riding with just your right hand. Push forward on the bar and the bike goes to the right even though you're steering 'left'. Counter steering comes in to its own when you have to steer sharply, to avoid a brick for example. It's something everyone should practice on a regular basis ( along with hard braking ), 'cos if you don't, when the time comes and you need it, you'll end up shiny side down. Learn counter steering, always warm your tyres up, never trust a car driver, and in corners, don't try to guess the appropriate speed - get in the appropriate gear. Never ride in anger. Thats my two penneth! Hey, it's nice to see some Britts on here for a change!
Spot on Carl :-) ... nice to see another Brit too ... it's pouring with rain though here just now, really thoroughly ghastly .. lol

Jules

Old 04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good thread. I'm a new rider, and I learned this in my class that I took, but I haven't been out riding in quite a while now, last time I went out riding, the bike slid out from under me, and I have been kinda nervous since then. I wonder what would happen if I lean more.... damn rocks...

Old 04-29-2008, 06:53 AM

I have included this pic I have of my F3 with a pointer set up to demonstrate counter steering .. it's simply a cut off wd40 tube and stuck underneath the ignition switch with a large lump of blu tac ..

I know it sounds terribly mickey mouse but trust me ... this will show admirably what happens when you ride your bike :-)

I have mine pointed directly to the "m" on "main beam" .. this is the straight ahead position ...

Now when you ride because of the flexibility of the blue tac you can easily make this point to any datum you choose ... right then ...when your ready hit say a left hander ... to do so you will torque the bars to the right, you will see the pointer move to the right quite noticeably as you do this ... once the bike kicks over to the left then and you are tracking with the bend and have a relaxed grip on the bars note it's position now .. You will see that it is in fact pointing slightly left too, ie the bike is actually tracking with the bend and not as some think just "leaned over" with a straight handle bar .. try it yourself, it's a great teaching aid :-)

Jules

Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

C'mon down to the Hurricane section, and read the comments in the "being aware" post....
too many to transfer here but they surely are of value to newer riders....
Stuff like
When wearing shoes with laces, always double tie them so the bow doesn't slip over your gear/brake lever, and when you want to put your foot down, you can't........[X(] and

Watch the wheels of cars when you're filtering in traffic - the front wheel will turn toward you BEFORE he/she moves, so you have time to take avoiding action...... etc etc

Jules is back......

Quick Reply: Corner fast ... don't crash! (Important update pg4 body steer)