Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Corner fast ... don't crash! (Important update pg4 body steer)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fabulous stuff people, thank you very much, I now apply counter steering and it corners so much smoother and more naturally than I had managed before, It's been a big help.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Registered Users

I read about this counter steering stuff last night (all new to me since I was never taught it by my bike instructor), and wow, what a difference it makes. I realise we probably all do it subconsciously, but when you consciously try and counter steer, it makes cornering much easier! A lot safer too.

Thank you for the helpful advice

Old 04-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Thumbs up

Ive been riding for 6 years and just tried this for the first time, great.Cant believe ive never heard of this before makes cornering much easier will be perfecting this over the summer thanks.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM

Just wanted to toss in a "Thanks a ton" for this thread... Like was said in the write up, I have been doing this instinctively, but actually understanding the physics happening behind it makes me feel so much more in control of my bike. I'm not saying I am ready to be dragging a knee or anything, but the confidence gained makes riding even more enjoyable.

So like I said, thanks! And I figure the bump may bring it up for anyone else checking out recent posts.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:48 AM

I wanna say thanks so much guys. first time riding and that was one of my worse fears was taking corners at high speed cause i always felt i was gonna fall. i tried this yesterday at a my local college parking lot and it worked. i couldnt believe it. i was so excited i did it like 8 more times haha.im gonna keep working on it so that way i can become a lot better at this.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:30 AM
Default head tube angle

I previously rode a dualsport with a much more relaxed (less steep) head tube angle than CBRs and this effect was barely noticeable. My friend with a Daytona told me about pushing into the bar in a turn and when I tried it didn't make all that much difference. Jump ahead a few years when I get to ride a sportbike and I was immediately surprised at how much the bars turned in during a lean and was immediately brought back to the conversation with my buddy about pushing the bars. I just wanted to say great description of the physics! (yes, I am a nerd)

Old 12-19-2013, 05:22 AM

be careful out there kids been riding 6 years and only time i know i am counter steering is when above 50mph otherwise dont think about it one thing he doesnt mention is when going fast ride with your toes on your pegs or ***** of feet this will allow for you to move around alot more and slide off the side of the bike thus counter steering without trying
you will also want to learn to twist your ankle when moving over to that side so off right side of bike your right ankle should be twisted in a way that your heel is facing your bum and your left leg will be able to grip onto the tank