Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Corner fast ... don't crash! (Important update pg4 body steer)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Corner fast ... don't crash!

ORIGINAL: Juliet

just be aware and practice, practice practice

Are you certain it's not 'practise, practise, practise', Mr.s. UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebit...rtedrev7.shtml

Old 05-24-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

Are you certain it's not 'practise, practise, practise', Mr.s. UK.
Perhaps our British member made a mistake in when to use the verb form of 'practise' and instead used the more universally and more Americanfriendy spelling of 'practice'. More likely however,I believe out of sheer politeness, knowing she is on a predominately American forum,she made this decision conciously and with much forthought. I had not realized you had become the Grand Poobah of Spelling, Syntax and other Grammatical Errors. I will consider nominating you for this exhalted position the next time it comes up for re-election. With that said, I would personally like to thank you for spending the time to attempt to research such minutia, you are an inspiration to us all, that is why I thought you would be happy to read the following.

From http://www.wikihow.com/Avoid-Common-...ting-a-wikiHow[*]
[ol][*]Be aware of noun and verb differences in words like: [*]advice/advise advice is the noun whereas advise is the verb [/ol][*]practice/practise practice is the noun and practise is the verb (in British English) [*]affect/effect - affect is a verb , effect is a noun. So you talk about the effect of something, but affecting someone.
[ul][/ul]
Although your research was incomplete, I mustthank you Mr. Spirit for attempting to make the Internet safe for those of us that cringe when reading 'prolly' (instead of 'probably') or my pet peave 'teh' (instead of 'the'), knowing you are on the job will make me sleep better at night. What you lack in talent, you more than make up for with misplacedenthusiam. I believe with several years of hard work you will be able tobecome competent enough to attain'Grand Poobah' status, thattitle, I believe, is still held by Voodoo.

Thank you SpiritRR, you are a valuable asset to our forum, I will strive to have time in my lifeto put forth for such inane endeavours.

edit: maybe I already do have the time.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:02 PM

Thank you. However, Spelling and Syntax are not Grammatical Errors, so I would be the Grand Poobah of Spelling, Syntax and Grammatical Correctness in the Global English Dialect. Thank you again for your consideration, but my research is never incomplete. And the plural noun form you used is 'minutiae'.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:16 PM
Banned

I stand corrected on all counts...thank you for your dedication andvigilance.

edit: I would like to point out the use of the phrase 'Global English Dialect' in that form is an oxymoron. Global and dialect when used to describe the dominant or original form of a language and not some regional subset is a faux pax of epic porportions.

viz:

A dialect (from the Greek word διάλεκτος, dialektos) is a variety of a language that is characteristic of a particular group of the language's speakers.[1] The term is applied most often to regional speech patterns, but a dialect may also be defined by other factors, such as social class.[

As illusutrated, Global and Dialect are mutually exclusive when used in the framework of your arguement. English is a language, not a dialect, therefore in the afformentioned phrase there is a cornucopia of errors which I do not have the time nor inclination to respond to. But I do believe with some work we can find work for you as a proofreader for many fine periodicals such as 'Archie and Jughead fall off the roof' or ' Dude where's my car? The magazine.'

Old 05-26-2008, 01:15 AM
Banned

quit bitching about the way someone talks and give more tips

Old 05-26-2008, 03:10 AM
Banned

Countersteering is present at any speed. Even your, "low speed." In my slow speed video I'm moving so fast my speedo isn't moving... I'm using countersteering.

Fish... [sm=nono.gif]

Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Counter steering is not present at very low speed because it relies totally on the gyroscopic effects of the wheels rotating .. at low speeds as in walking pace say .. you simply turn the bars to the direction you want to go .. you just simply steer the bike into the turn ..as speed picks up and the gyro effect takes over then counter steering comes into play :-)

Jules

Old 05-26-2008, 10:12 AM

Here's a really good page on counter steering and the effects or not of body movement or lean ... too many people put so much stock in body lean and it's just not as effective as they think .. basically steering a motorbike in any kind of quick fasion and especially to avoid objects where an instant change is required is done soley through steering input and that means counter steering ...

http://www.superbikeschool.com/machinery/no-bs-machine.php

I think this bit is important :-) ..

No B.S.

At this writing, we have run nearly 100 riders of all experience levels on this double barred bike. It has made believers out of every single one--in the actuality of countersteering of course. Even at speeds of no more than 20 to 35 mph, no matter how much you tug or push or pull or jump around on the bike, the best we saw was that the bike wiggled and became somewhat unstable. Did it turn? Not really. Would it turn at higher speed? Absolutely not. Could you avoid something in your path? No Way. Could anyone quick turn the bike? Hopeless! The best result was one of my riding coaches. He got into a full hang-off position and was able to persuade the bike, by jerking on it, to start on a wide, wide arc in the paddock at Laguna Seca, a piece of asphalt that is about 500 X 800 feet. Like turning an oil tanker ship, start at noon and be on the turning arc at around 1:00 PM. It wasn't smooth and it wasn't very effective.
We now call this bike "The NO BS Bike". There are no doubts in anyone's mind after they ride it that they have been countersteering all along. No doubts.
You can hear riders, who believed in the body-steering method, laughing in their helmets at 100 yards away once they get those solid mounted bars in their hands and try to body-steer the bike. They just shake their heads. No B.S.

Dangerous Misconceptions

Now if you want to look a little further into this, what you will see is this; riders who still labor under the misconception that they body-steer are devoting themselves in a system that can do a great deal of actual harm. Firstly, it is seriously misguided to add an additional series of actions to the steering process. When it is quick, critical steering that is needed to avoid something, that lag I have observed so many times in street riders, could cost you your hide.
Adding 2/10ths to 5/10ths of a second, or more, to the steering procedure at 60 mph means that you have just gone another 18 to 44 feet, or more, down the road before you started to avoid that muffler lying in your path. Kids, don't try this at home.

I really like this bit and I do think they should carry labels because it is simply so scary how many people are not aware of counter steering or only do it subconsciously ... you simply have to consciously be able to counter steer in an emergency ... it's a life saver!!

WARNING:THIS VEHICLE COUNTER-STEERS.
IF YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND COUNTERSTEERING DO NOT RIDE.
SEEK THE HELPOF A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL Riding Coach.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about this ?
http://cid-fd1db3fa41cb79a5.skydrive....aspx/CBR1000F
Bike book (Twist of the Wrist)
A twist of the wrist, by Keth Code, who started the California Superbike school......

Old 05-26-2008, 12:48 PM

Pete is that the wrong link??

EDIT: oops sorry just not looking I am kinda tired just now ...

Jules

Quick Reply: Corner fast ... don't crash! (Important update pg4 body steer)