Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?
View Poll Results: when too hot in a turn, what do yo do?
Brake lightly to tighten the turn
31.91%
Lean harder into the turn
68.09%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Brake or Lean

Old 07-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Default Brake or Lean

You've started the turn and realize you're coming in too hot. If you don't do something, you'll swing wide.

Which do you do: brake to tighten the turn or lean harder into the turn? And WHY?

btw, "I don't misjudge my entry speed" and similar answers aren't an option. Everyone misjudge an entry occasionally. If they didn't, racing would be rather dull with all the ties from perfect runs

Old 07-04-2010, 12:45 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

That's an open question ya got there Kuro ....... depends how far in you are.

just going in ........means ya can brake a bit .

Committed ......... and you have to go with it and get down- "lean" hard- to slow you down.

If you are totally cooked going in then be prepared to let her out from under you.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:54 PM

I agree with Sprock, Too many variables. Need more specifics, I came into a turn way too hot years ago at about 3x the posted safe speed. I braked and then leaned hard, Still ended up going off the road. Luckily stayed upright, I missed clipping a house by 6" and went right through the flower bed LOL. After that I slowed down

Old 07-04-2010, 02:35 PM

Ok... lets say you're just past the apex

Old 07-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Odds are, you will have to lean, though as previous posters said, you might be able to brake if it is at the very beginning of the turn (this is assuming you're not trail braking already, which gets into some different techniques).

Old 07-06-2010, 08:54 AM

Braking won't tighten the turn. Just the opposite - braking will cause the bike to stand up and you'll run wider. Once you're already in the turn, your best bet is to lean more and keep the throttle open. 'When in Doubt, Gas it Out.'

Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti

Originally Posted by Munson View Post
Braking won't tighten the turn. Just the opposite - braking will cause the bike to stand up and you'll run wider. Once you're already in the turn, your best bet is to lean more and keep the throttle open. 'When in Doubt, Gas it Out.'
this.

and pray there's no sand.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Munson View Post
Good point, but then why does braking seem to work?

Guilty secret: in the city I regularly misjudge right hand turns. Dunno why, but I can guarantee during the day I'll hit a right hand 90 degree turn too fast. And have to correct in midturn, which I loathe. Not because I'm in any danger. I ride with enough cushion that it'd take a bunch of really bad things to put me in serious trouble.

But it just bothers me cause I know I can do better.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:57 AM

[QUOTE=Kuroshio;943125]Good point, but then why does braking seem to work?

QUOTE]

The key here is 'seems to.' You're doing two things - first you're slowing down, then finishing your turn at a more comfortable speed. But if you really needed to hold a tight line, this wouldn't be the best way. Fortunately, you're smart enough to leave yourself a good cushion when street riding.

Most likely you're nowhere near your bike's limits. Which is a good thing.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:59 PM

If I was already committed to a turn (say, almost to the apex and I'm leaned over pretty hard), I would definitely just lean it harder and pray it sticks. I'm not trained on track riding or anything, but I would be afraid of losing traction if I touch the brakes... and possibly leading to a high side. I would just lean harder, pray it sticks, and be prepared to set it down low side if need be.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake or Lean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.