Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?
View Poll Results: when too hot in a turn, what do yo do?
Brake lightly to tighten the turn
31.91%
Lean harder into the turn
68.09%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Brake or Lean

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When everyone talks of standing it up, I'm not talking about going back to vertical. I'm meaning you might decrease your lean by 5% - I mean ever so slight. This is an avoidance manuever. Thinking it would make you run too wide for the turn, that would mean you entered the turn at 100% committment, no margin for error. I can understand that on the track during a race (but not a trackday), but you should NEVER enter a street turn to the level that you cannot perform a minor correction.

Won't slight application of the rear break tighten the turn?
The rear brake can be used to slow the bike slightly and tighten the cornering radius, but you must get used to the sensitivity of the rear brake or you will easily lock it up. You MUST practice with the rear in turns (parking lot is a great place) if you ever want to safely use it. The term "feathering" was used in an earlier post, and yes, that's the idea.

Last edited by randyjoy; 07-14-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was wondering that myself randy.

I've feathered the rear brake to tighten a turn. I've never experienced my bike standing up when I do. Got yelled at during the ERC cause I rode the rear brake thru the tight cornering exercise

I got chastised at alot during the ERC

Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I got chastised at alot during the ERC
HaHa, I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall during your class.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by randyjoy
HaHa, I would have enjoyed being a fly on the wall during your class.
Well apparently I can't modulate the rear brake during emergency stops (so I don't lock up the rear). Despite stopping faster and shorter than everyone else during the class.

I can't brake hard enough nor maintain control using 2 fingers on the front brake. But again, no problem ebraking and no problem with throttle control

I don't look back far enough during u-turns (I think he wanted me to snap my own neck). But I did the Figure 8 in the 250cc box with no problem.

I shouldn't swerve out before turning in on tight, slow speed turns....

Meh, the list went on and on

Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do a combination of letting out the throttle slightly, using the rear brake, and leaning.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feather the front brake n lean, I never touch my rear brake when in the twisties only in town lol

Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
I feather the front brake n lean, I never touch my rear brake when in the twisties only in town lol
When people film me in the twisties, I like to sometimes randomly feather my rear brake through the entire corner. Looks funny on video.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:03 PM
June 2011 ROTM

I recently was riding with a friend on some unfamiliar roads so I would keep my entry speed a bit slower just because I didnt know the turn, then accelerate hard on the way out. Well we went around a tight hairpin turn, I crack the throttle open. Next thing you know theres another hairpin. I had no time to hit the brakes so I just looked through the turn and leaned her over. It freaked me out a bit at first, but half way through the turn it was like hell yea. lol

Old 08-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by KdubyaH
I recently was riding with a friend on some unfamiliar roads so I would keep my entry speed a bit slower just because I didnt know the turn, then accelerate hard on the way out. Well we went around a tight hairpin turn, I crack the throttle open. Next thing you know theres another hairpin. I had no time to hit the brakes so I just looked through the turn and leaned her over. It freaked me out a bit at first, but half way through the turn it was like hell yea. lol
Good job! Never stop riding the bike - many, many people would have given up, stood it up, chopped the throttle and grabbed the brakes - culminating in a crash.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KdubyaH
I had no time to hit the brakes so I just looked through the turn and leaned her over.

CORRECT ANSWER!! Keep your eyes up and looking toward the turn's exit.

Quick Reply: Brake or Lean