Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?
View Poll Results: when too hot in a turn, what do yo do?
Brake lightly to tighten the turn
31.91%
Lean harder into the turn
68.09%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Brake or Lean

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a right hand turn i mis-judge almost everytime i take it, i think its mainly due to the fact there always seems to be sand there, I've never had it walk out on me but there's always a chance i suppose. In any case braking seems to work a bit better for me than leaning maybe a mindset kind of thing? I don't know

Old 07-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Munson
The key here is 'seems to.' You're doing two things - first you're slowing down, then finishing your turn at a more comfortable speed. But if you really needed to hold a tight line, this wouldn't be the best way. Fortunately, you're smart enough to leave yourself a good cushion when street riding.

Most likely you're nowhere near your bike's limits. Which is a good thing.
On the streets, I'm nowhere near neither my bike's limits. Nor my own. I haven't dragged a knee yet. But I'm confident under the right conditions I could. The right conditions being on a track I'd already taken a lap or two on (to get familar with it). And wearing something more than jeans.

A lot of these posts are just to get some discussion going, broach a topic someone else may be having trouble with but is reluctant to admit it. On this particular one, I just lean a little more. Most times, just a slight change in my body positioning and the tiniest of twitches on the bars.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:12 PM

it honestly depends on what kind of mood im in... if im in a daring kinda mood, you better believe im leaning in hot and taking it full throtle.... but most days i try to play it safe and brake before the turn... i am scared im gonna drop my bike

Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 AM

I just brake because I'm all freaked out anyways.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:33 PM

I'm surprised no one mentioned the difference between front and rear braking.

Last night I was trying to do all 4 things at once. Front brake, rear brake, lean more, and throttle. Some jerk in a car decided to go realllllly slow on a huge cloverleaf exit ramp. Front brake makes the bike stand up, so only use it if you have space. If you lock up the back tire, it's just like a BMX when it kicks out. When is the last time you locked up a brake on purpose??

I also practice stopping from high speeds. If I'm gonna go fast.. I wanna be good at stopping from that speed.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You need option 3 which is both options combined. I lean harder and trail brake.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lean harder and keep the throttle steady! I live by the rule that if you brake while in the turn, you go down. It has almost happened to me and I don't like the feeling.

I sometimes go too hot into a turn and typically it is when getting on/off the highway with some nice and almost full circle ramps. I have gotten just far enough down that I am a couple of inches away from dragging my knee.

In some (very few) situations, I had to brake a little to prevent going too wide, but I braked just enough to lean harder into the turn without braking too hard and losing control.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 PM

What would you do if during the turn you see a pile of gravel/sand?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well depends on the skill really. In most cases lean n pray. If the rider has some skills n knows their brakes, then they can not only lean, but do a lil trail braking n lightly feather the fronts brakes. I know this will get flaq from some, but you never just bail, you will just speed up instead of decrease speed then. As long as you're on the bike you have a chance to slow er down n recover.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:01 PM

I usually try and brake right before entering thats saying if I have enough time, if I hit a corner to hot then I usually just lean it harder and if im running wide just open the throttle just a little bit. I really do try and brake enough before cornering, especially if its a corner I have never taken and have no idea whats in store, I am terrified of laying my bike down haha

Quick Reply: Brake or Lean