Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?
View Poll Results: when too hot in a turn, what do yo do?
Brake lightly to tighten the turn
31.91%
Lean harder into the turn
68.09%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Brake or Lean

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Ok... lets say you're just past the apex
If you already made it past the apex and are running wide that means you apexed too early. Not because your corner speed was to high. But thats a different discussion.

I would lean it over more. If you apply front brakes just after apex your going to run wide into on coming traffic. But when you lean it over more remember not to increase throttle or touch the front brakes or your likely to low side into oncoming traffic.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:04 PM

This has happened to me about 3 weeks ago where it was a 10 mph S curve. I came in a lil too hot missed the apex and instinctively I leaned harder by looking into the outer line going out since there was a truck in my way. I was pretty close to the truck but if I had braked, I would have low sided easily.

I could feel the bike wanting to go outwards and leaning harder made me come out of it safely. I"m very surprised at how these Michelin Pilots are doing their job very well.

Last edited by AmazinAznF4I; 09-23-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM

What about counter steering and getting on the gas? Leaning more won't necessarily put the bike where you want it. The faster you go the more precise and forceful you have to be in your steering input.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Giving it more gas and the bike will try to stand up or break the rear tire loose (depending on the conditions). Neither are a particularly good choice.

Countersteering would change the lean, aka lean it down more.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:24 PM

Depending on the width of the turn, I would think that you would want to get the bike back on track by steering it. If you don't steer it you will just be leaning and going straight off the road because the bike will want to go straight by default. Giving the bike a little more gas (maintenance throttle) while steering through the turn will stabilize it. It's all about good throttle control. The rear tire may break loose if you give it too much gas, but we are talking minor adjustments.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:08 PM

Answers need to be more specific or there needs to be a 3rd answer that says "slam on the brakes hard, then lean in hard" :P

If you are already initiating the lean in, do not brake, ever... just get off the bike (racer style) and turn her over.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:16 PM

Giving it more gas and the bike will try to stand up or break the rear tire loose (depending on the conditions). Neither are a particularly good choice.
Actually not true. Braking causes the bike to stand up and run the bike wide. (if you don't believe me, try it in a controlled and safe environment, loosen your grip on the bars and hit the brakes in a turn. she stands up real fast)

You actually want to apply a small amount of gas through the turn, enough to keep the bike in a neutral position, one with not so much weight on the front tire. Your front tire has less contact patch, therefor getting on the gas will reduce the weight on the front and put it on the bigger rear tire. Of course too much gas does the opposite and puts too much pressure on the rear tire.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by randyjoy
The rear brake can be used to slow the bike slightly and tighten the cornering radius, but you must get used to the sensitivity of the rear brake or you will easily lock it up. You MUST practice with the rear in turns (parking lot is a great place) if you ever want to safely use it. The term "feathering" was used in an earlier post, and yes, that's the idea.
I think the problem with this is that braking in the middle of a turn is a skill that is MUCH harder to learn, and when mistakes are made it is less forgiving. You accidentally lock your rear up mid turn, well, have fun with that.

Some of you may think you look like tools getting off the bike on the street like track riders do, but practice it. Learn it and it will save you far greater than any trail braking ever will.

One time I almost ran off the track on a WARM UP lap. I wasn't moving fast compared to track speeds, but because it was a warm up lap and I knew I was going slow as hell, I was not getting off the bike. I hit a turn, scraped my pipe and almost ran wide. If I had to guess, I was taking the turn at around 45mph when normally I could take it at 75 with a knee down. It is absolutely amazing how much faster you can take a turn when you get your *** off the bike.

Put most of your weight on the outside foot peg, and slide your butt toward the inside of the turn, keeping your spine in line with the bike. (meaning shoulders also move with your butt)

Old 01-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wasn't talking about maintenance throttle. Way he phrased it I wasn't thinking he was talking about a gentle roll on but actually cracking it open.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:00 PM

I wasn't talking about maintenance throttle. Way he phrased it I wasn't thinking he was talking about a gentle roll on but actually cracking it open.
oh, "stand up" as in wheelie? Yeah, not that much gas lol. Then again 600's don't have the torque to roll on wheelie mid turn or lose the rear unless you are REALLY pushing it. Unless something is on the road, or you are at 100% lean, you could jump WoT in 2nd gear mid turn and not lose the rear on a 600.

Quick Reply: Brake or Lean