Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Body Positioning in a corner question

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I discovered a loooong time ago that when randyjoy offers riding tips for newer riders, its best to take notes. He gave me the "kiss the mirror" advice a while back and it made me feel so much more comfortable in turns.

All I'd add to the advice given so far is to break it down into steps, getting one movement down before adding the next. If worse comes to worse, put your bike up on a rear stand and practice getting into position while its stationary.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
I discovered a loooong time ago that when randyjoy offers riding tips for newer riders, its best to take notes. He gave me the "kiss the mirror" advice a while back and it made me feel so much more comfortable in turns.

All I'd add to the advice given so far is to break it down into steps, getting one movement down before adding the next. If worse comes to worse, put your bike up on a rear stand and practice getting into position while its stationary.
Now, if you'd just actually do a trackday!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Now, if you'd just actually do a trackday!
Gonna happen before the summer is over, definately. Its a great excuse to go gear shopping. But gotta get tires on Ororo first. These hockey pucks would just get me killed on the track

Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gonna happen before the summer is over, definately.
I just signed up with Absolute Cycles for July 7 at NJMP. It's a Thursday, but since that is Independence Day week, it ought to be quiet enough at work that taking off won't be an issue. $125 for Guest status, which is by far the cheapest track day I've found that doesn't require you to buy a membership. And they seem to get good reviews.

ABSOLUTE CYCLE EXPERIENCE MOTORCYCLE TRACKDAYS & SCHOOLS - Absolute Cycle Experience Trackdays :: NJMP NJ. :: NJMP New Jersey Motorsports Park Motorcycle Track Day - Date/Course July 7th Thunderbolt Course

Old 05-20-2011, 06:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put your bike up on a rear stand and practice getting into position while its stationary.
This is something I did along time ago as well.Becomes a habit after a while.Then you won't have to think about it anymore and just do it.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I like to move around all over the bike, I have seen an old dude on a VT400 blow these theories out of the water. He stayed in the exact same position and just leant the bike over to some crazy angles. It spun me out that much that my friend and I followed him through the twisties for a while just watching him. He even had the big plastic milk crate on the back and those handle bar mitt's or what ever they're called. He wasn't the fastest rider out there but he made sure he wasn't easy to overtake on the tight corners and short straights.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by pepperman
Although I like to move around all over the bike, I have seen an old dude on a VT400 blow these theories out of the water. He stayed in the exact same position and just leant the bike over to some crazy angles. It spun me out that much that my friend and I followed him through the twisties for a while just watching him. He even had the big plastic milk crate on the back and those handle bar mitt's or what ever they're called. He wasn't the fastest rider out there but he made sure he wasn't easy to overtake on the tight corners and short straights.
It's not "theory". Body position can tremendously affect your cornering. But it's only part of the equation.

The guy you saw had the other parts of the equation: precision braking and throttle control.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Buy Twist of the Wrist II and read it front to back.

2) Go do a track day and leave your ego at the door.