Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Windows 7

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windows 7

^ What are your PC specs? Vista is not glitchy, if configured correctly with a suitable system. I use it on two systems for 10 hours a day and I dont have any problems. Also, yes UAC is annoying but can be tweaked and will be able to be tweaked even more in W7.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i downloaded it burned it but not installed it. to lazy

Old 01-13-2009, 12:26 PM

I just installed it on a PC here at work and so far like it better than Vista, mostly for performance reasons. We just made a decision not to switch to Vista at my company so once this comes out we will probably go to it.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:53 PM

I made the decision not to roll out Vista to my end users because they would not be able to handle the change. Keep in mind I teach people how to do all kinds of minuscule stuff throughout the day. I have 3-4 users that have it on their laptops and am actually shocked at how well they have adapted. I will have to move them over one day though.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:13 PM
Retired Moderator

I gave up on Windows long ago. You know it's bad when they had to disguise Vista as "Mojave" just to get people to think it was new and exciting. I'm currently waiting on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). They're focusing on platform stability versus making everything look glossy. XP was good, but even then it was vulnerable.

...not to mention I don't have to clog resources running anti virus, spyware, adware, etc etc.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:24 PM

so would those of you that are trying it, would you agree that it requires less resources than vista does? I don't think that the whole "aero" theme works properly for me because of it being through vmware so it doesn't get full access to my video card.

ORIGINAL: thegreenbandit
lol this reminds me of a cartoon i read a day or 2 ago http://xkcd.com/528/
haha, that is a great cartoon

ORIGINAL: Gville George

I will probably stick with XP till windows 7 or what ever becomes standard, another upgrade that i am holding off on is going to 64bit. I heard there are to many compatibility headaches to work around with drivers and programs that can't run in 64bit and I really dont think i have the knowledge or the paticence to deal with them every time i want to do something.
I'm running 64-bit, and you're definitely right, there's a lot of things you can't do with it. One of the biggest problems I had was that no drivers existed for my scanner. If a pre-made system were to be bought though in 64-bit, if the user didn't plan on adding on many peripherals, they'd be set. Although I still have problems with 64 v. 32 bit in Matlab and some other insignificant things like the Vista sidebar.

ORIGINAL: rellimdekim
i put windows 7 on my dell that is 5 years old and it runs great. I like it a lot better than I did vista, but mainly because vista was very user unfriendly imho. The statement about having to click on a window to find it is not true, you can still have everything along the whole taskbar like before, and you can do both alt+tab and windows+tab to change between the open applications. I cant wait for the final copy of the os to come out. I am ready to step up and buy my first new operating system in 6 years! Long live XP I love it to death and will always have it on one of my pcs....
What are the specs on that dell you installed windows 7 on? I'd love to see exactly how stripped down a computer I could put it on. Btw, as far as the having everything on the taskbar, what do you mean? I know I can switch between apps with alt-tab, but I guess I'm just used to having all open applications strewn across the taskbar. That's not to say that this new method isn't a better system, I'm just weird haha.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

I gave up on Windows long ago. You know it's bad when they had to disguise Vista as "Mojave" just to get people to think it was new and exciting. I'm currently waiting on Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). They're focusing on platform stability versus making everything look glossy. XP was good, but even then it was vulnerable.

...not to mention I don't have to clog resources running anti virus, spyware, adware, etc etc.
I'm all for using a Mac, I just don't have the money to justify one right now. I've considered messing around and trying to install one of the Mac OS on my PC, but I haven't done enough research on it, plus I suppose it voids the contract with Apple rendering it illegal

Old 01-13-2009, 04:13 PM

Macs are overpriced PCs with shiny cases and proprietary hardware. Vista got a bad rep b/c people are retarded and would rather listen to word of mouth than experience it for themselves. Give those same people OS X and they will do the same thing, nothing; they were still using XP were they not? BTW, Apple just started recommending AV be used on OS X. There is more to Windows than making it glossy, but people want pretty, which is why they did it. If the market share for Macs was larger, there would be more vulnerabilities for them. Show me an enterprise office that runs on an apple server and I may accredit them 1% of the market.