Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Windows Mojave

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 01:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows Mojave

http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/
I find it hilarious that windows has to come out with a marketing scheme trick people into thinking it's a different operating system so that people don't jump to conclusions and say it blows. Anyone who knows anything about a computer knows that windows vista is a programming nightmare and compatibility is terrible. they claim it has thousands of programs that are compatible with it, yet XP has tens of thousands of programs and applications that are compatible. I wish apple would sell copies of its OS for home-built computers, because I would be seriously willing to switch after this display of complete stupidity.

Final note: When a company has to say HEY! Our product doesn't suck, look at this! Then it's time to put a recall out. Pumping money into a worthless program doesn't make it any less worthless, its like throwing money away. Epic fail Microsoft, epic fail.

Old 09-06-2008, 01:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Windows Mojave

name one thing M$ has done that hasnt had flaws?Sad truth is Vista is the best thing M$ has released to date.

Old 09-06-2008, 02:19 AM
Retired Moderator

^^ I would have to disagree. The best thing Microsoft has ever released is the XBOX. Other than that, we agree that they mostly release crap.

And I'm sorry, but people looking at it saying "Oooooo, it LOOKS nice" or "I like the look of that." doesn't mean it's a good operating system......just eye candy. I'd rather have the look of Windows 3.1.......than all the "Aero" with system crashes every 10 minutes.

Just my opinion though. I'll just stick to the Mac for now. OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is coming out soon........and instead wasting time throwing in more features and gimmicks and glossing everything out.......they're focusing solely on system performance and stability. Finally, someone gets it...........and it's going to be $89 bucks too.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:19 AM

I'm managing a few labs at work. Here is my opinion of Operating Systems - a good operating system is an operating system you don't notice.

I started in dos, went through the original windows days, win95 C, and win98... skipped 2000, had a few NT, winXP, and a now a few Vista machines.

Here is the rub - windows 95 c was nice and stable - win98 SE was great... NT had it's limitations then out comes winXP Pro. Fantastic. Why? In the grand scheme of things it has been stable. If you set it up right, most of the time it will work. It is also a familiar old girl - you can make it look like 95 C and it runs pretty damn quickly.

Why do I dislike Vista. Aside from the learning curve, Vista breaks the cardinal rule of Operating Systems. It was made to be flashy, and as a result it has become very heavy. It requires a lot of memory, a lot of hard drive space, and a pretty decent video card. This means that it runs like crap on lab computers that were built for XP, because they don't have tonnes of memory, hard drive space, or top end video cards. The rule they broke was the Vista wasn't designed to disappear from the users mind - but to be the focus of attention.

I'm skipping Vista. I have a few vista machines because I have to. I have a couple of vista machines that I'm toying around with trying to make run as quickly as the SAME pc did with winXP. I'm getting there, but end users always complain that it doesn't have the pretty menus.

Funny - the last requirement I have on my computing list is flashy windows - I want my programs to run, and run quickly. I don't really care what it looks like.

Microsoft missed the boat, and that's why they're rushing the Vista replacement. They can say it's a good Operating System, and they'd be right, but they can't say its performace is anywhere near winXP's, and they can't tell me that there is anything wrong with winXP. It works perfectly well.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:37 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone else using Linux ?

Old 09-06-2008, 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Anyone else using Linux ?

Ubuntu 7.1 on my laptop, Mac on my desktop and I manage too many 2003/2008 servers to count. I have XP and Vista in the enterprise and they are both rock solid. I personally don't know anyone that uses Vista that has it crash every 10 minutes, unless they're complete freakin no0bs.

Learn how to use the computer properly and not as it runs out of the box. Be careful what you install and from where. Turn off UAC in Vista and you will have a great experience. If it weren't true the helpdesk staff would get a hell of a lot more calls than they get now. We build proper images and deploy solid desktops (well, I don't. I run server land).

Old 09-06-2008, 09:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

^^ I would have to disagree. The best thing Microsoft has ever released is the XBOX. Other than that, we agree that they mostly release crap.

And I'm sorry, but people looking at it saying "Oooooo, it LOOKS nice" or "I like the look of that." doesn't mean it's a good operating system......just eye candy. I'd rather have the look of Windows 3.1.......than all the "Aero" with system crashes every 10 minutes.

Just my opinion though. I'll just stick to the Mac for now. OS X 10.6 "Snow Leopard" is coming out soon........and instead wasting time throwing in more features and gimmicks and glossing everything out.......they're focusing solely on system performance and stability. Finally, someone gets it...........and it's going to be $89 bucks too.

I wouldnt call thousands of units dying (xbox1 & 2) a success. Of course this could have been avoided if they use cheap as parts and ****ty labor.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Vista runs great for n has since day one during the betas. No it wont run on crap outdated hardware. Hell even XP doesnt run right until you have a GB of ram.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:50 AM

Way at the bottom of the "experiment description" and burried under all their glowing statistics praising the OS. we find a 2 line blurb describing the hardware used on the "demo":

HP Pavilion DV2000 entertainment Notebook with 2GB of RAM

OK, so where does that leave us mere mortals, that don't have the latest top end equipment,???!!

Quick Reply: Windows Mojave