Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Dads trying to convince me for a buell

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dads trying to convince me for a buell

I am looking to get another bike this summer... I have a cbr600 now which I will be keeping, if I do not go with another Honda. My Dad and I always go out looking at bikes and he has been trying to push a buell1125r on me.. At first sight I thought it was the ugliest thing, but it slowly has grown on me. My question is will I be extremely disappointed with it in comparison to a cbr1000 which I have been planning on getting. I am just looking for a little input. Has anyone taken one for a ride before... What type of problems may I inccur with the belt driven. I am very skeptical about it because I do not want to hate it. I love the feel and everything about my 600.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:17 PM
Default RE: Dads trying to convince me for a buell

The RR will take off faster, but the Buell will have more torque. I highly doubt youll have any real problems with the belt, its a proven system thats been in use for quite awhile now. Theres a Buell or two Id love to getmy hands on.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:26 PM

I've always liked the Buell but over a CBR1000, I don't know its definitly a tough call. I think the only bikes that would break me from a Honda is the KTM RC8 or a Duc.

Also, what kind of maintenance is involved with the belt? Does it stretch?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:28 PM

Yeah they have really caught my attention this last year and I havent been able to get much feedback on them.. I do not race so I am okay with the rr taking off faster but my 600 is plenty quick for me anyway. Whats been lingering in my mind is I thought that I would see alot more of them out on the road last summer but they failed to show. Are they not being bought or am I just overlooking?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:32 PM

From what I understand they say that the Belt is Maintenance free, but I am positive it will stretch. I dont know how much it will stretch or if it will need replaced after a certain period of time.. I know it'll be replaced after so long but will it require some what routine replacement?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too many issues with the Buells from FI to front wheels coming off. Every single one had a recall up to 2006 (maybe 2005). Only issue with Honda is charging system ... and it seems they finally got their stuff together on that one.

Buells are torque monsters and if you like the look then I suppose they are o.k. Decent twisty bikes and freakishly easy to wheelie. But quality wise nowhere near a CBR and will not handle as well either.

Try one out and see if it is for you. Not my cup of tea but hell, 2 wheels is better than 4 no matter what it is (scooters are the exception).

Old 01-13-2009, 02:51 PM

Old 01-13-2009, 02:56 PM

Wow man that is badass.. I really like the look and the hand protectors would be the first thing off of there.. Nice find.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Sorry man I deleted the link, Figured id just post up a couple pics. That last pic is what Id kill it on, but I think that type of bike for a 6'2" person wouldnt work.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:04 PM

I really cant comment on the new Buell from an experience standpoint. I did however have a friend that had a 1200 buell lightening. All I can say is what a pile or crap. Your 600 would stomp all over it. I Rode it for about 5 miles when we were all out riding and I wasnt impressed in any area. Handling, power, feel.. nothing. I hated every aspect of the bike. Those bikes were praised by a lot of people and Im here to tell you.... NOT.

On the new 1125. The reviews have been good, but Im not convinced. I think they could be a whole lot better than the previous Buell, but not up to snuff with the liter bikes. Compared to a 1000RR, I dont think there would be any. Especially the new 1000RR. they just arent the same class of bike. Im not really sure what class I would stick the Buell in, but it certainly wouldnt be sportbike.

I would definately drive one first. Also, make sure you compare bikes. Dont just drive the Buell and nothing else. you want to compare them. You may find out you really like it. If you do, then thats great. Its just not what I would want.

Quick Reply: Dads trying to convince me for a buell