Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Why are more people wearing gear.
It's cool to have the "name" brand gear a style so to speak
13.86%
I've wrecked before
26.73%
I'm older and alot smarter
59.41%
All my gear matches my bike
20.79%
I dont wear gear
3.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Why more sportbikers are gearing up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 12:52 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Hell of a lot better than the t-shirt and shorts I see all over in Orlando and around central FL...

Aaaah squids.

hey chuck if u go straight here doesnt it take you like down to treasure island beach if u keep following it? thats where i proposed to my wife...

if thats the right road... and u hang a right where this pic. is it heads to my uncles gated community... stayed there for a week over the summer

Old 05-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I equate squids who ride without gear to people who budget the oil/filters they use or meticulously worry about gas mileage on their sportbikes. In either case, you're being cheap about the things you shouldn't be cheap on when it comes to a owning a sportbike. I'm far from being well-off, but I'd rather skip a few meals (literally) than put anything substandard on/in my bike or my gear. As they say, you gotta pay to play.

In Korea, it's actually cooler to have expensive leathers, helmet, etc. because it acts kind of like a status symbol and that you're not just some dumb kid who spent his allowance money to scrape together a bike... it's kind of douchebaggery, but it works to have people want to gear up.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmds18
hey chuck if u go straight here doesnt it take you like down to treasure island beach if u keep following it? thats where i proposed to my wife...

if thats the right road... and u hang a right where this pic. is it heads to my uncles gated community... stayed there for a week over the summer
Dunno, never heard of treasure island beach.

Also, this is in the heart of orlando, so it's about an hour from the closest beach.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by Shadow
ATGATT
Says it all

A bit like condoms - don't leave home without them
As chairman of the stupid question association, can I ask....

WTF is ATGATT?

Old 05-16-2010, 12:24 PM

All
The
Gear
All
The
Time

Old 05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

I bought my gear before I even passed my test or got my bike!

I was the only learner rider with leathers and boots , but my logic told me that learning is a high risk time when I'm likely to go down

It was second hand miss-matched stuff , but it got me respect from the instructors and told my examiner that I was serious about safety , which put him in the frame of mind to pass me

A couple of years later my speed is far greater and so is the need to protect myself . I don't care what people think , I ride alone and to enjoy myself . They can have their opinions , I'll have my skin.

The most stupid thing I ever saw was in Florida , a guy riding with his helmet strapped to the bike.....WTF use is that . Of course he had the protective flip-flops and shorts and 'T' shirt on to complete the look

If it's too hot for gear then it's too hot to ride .

I'm with Shadow ATGATT.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM

I dunno how anybody rides in flip flops... my bf put a new clutch in my bike yesterday and told me to go feel it.... scary... I didn't get the kickstand up all the way at first and I felt like I was gonna biff it cause it felt like my shoes were gonna fall off or get tangled up somehow..

What sucks is I bought like over 500 dollars worth of gear and it's been sitting around since I bought it. :-/ I've been itching to wear it especially for these chilly nights, but I haven't been riding cause I needed my oil changed and whatnot and my bf needs his oil changed now. Poop.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:31 PM

So I did about 600 miles in the Ocala National Forest this saturday and saw tons of bikers. I was seriously amazed at the volume of people out on these backroads between tiny little podunk towns in the forest. At least 90% were cruiser/HD types. Of the cruisers, probably about 90% were without any gear excluding leather vests, chaps or half gloves. I think I saw maybe two guys on non-sportbikes with protective gear other than helmets (both were riding BMW dual-sport things and had full textile getups), and the rest who had gear only had helmets. I must have seen 300 people and most all of them were sporting the leather vest, jeans, half-gloves, t-shirt and bandana look!! The few sportbikers I saw out in the forest were fully geared, which I was happy to see. So I come home saturday night and feel pretty good about my like-minded riders gearing up, even if there were very few of them out there.

Well I'm driving to Home Depot yesterday and I see these two guys...

Squid #1 on the left -- complete with lowered, stretched gixxer with a straight pipe blipping at the stoplight in his white kicks, shorts, tshirt and sunglasses -- watches squid #2 waddle his bike around this u-turn on his stretched and lowered bike in clean black & white kicks, sunglasses, shorts, and tee as he proceeds to keep his feet inches from the ground for more than 100 feet before walking it around a right turn into a parking lot and scraping plastics on the ridge of the side walk.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the embodiment of all that is squidly. I was so glad to be sitting in my cage at this red light so I'd have the opportunity to snap these guys together on my phone. I see these (types of) guys everywhere in the city. All they're missing is the helmet strapped to the tail...

Old 05-17-2010, 02:36 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by dmcb2120
All
The
Gear
All
The
Time
Cheers Dude. I think there's another acronym afoot.

NGNI.

Any guesses, as depicted from the above sqid's efforts?

Old 05-18-2010, 03:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryM
Cheers Dude. I think there's another acronym afoot.

NGNI.

Any guesses, as depicted from the above sqid's efforts?
No Gear No Idea? Intelligence?

Quick Reply: Why more sportbikers are gearing up?