Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Why are more people wearing gear.
It's cool to have the "name" brand gear a style so to speak
13.86%
I've wrecked before
26.73%
I'm older and alot smarter
59.41%
All my gear matches my bike
20.79%
I dont wear gear
3.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Why more sportbikers are gearing up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why more sportbikers are gearing up?

One of my guys at work(who doesnt ride) were talking about this today. I had mentioned i saw a guy in a full joe rocket leather suit, riding boots and nice helmet yesterday while his female passenger was in flip flops and a tank top. We got on the discussion that we really havent seen alot of sport bikes this year without gear. I always said the guys that shorts, no shirt and sunglasses guys were the ones that havent hit the pavement. Not seeing much of it this year.
His thoughts are the companies like icon, alpinestar which we see most of out here have become somewhat "iconic" like abercrombie, polo etc. Plus with being able to get full gear that all matches the bike your on helps to. more less the "cool" stuff to have.

My thoughts are the younger gen from a few years ago myself included are getting older and have a bit more to live for, or like myself have hit pavement and learned our lesson. That and i see more and more a young guy say 18-24 goes and buys a bike and his group of buddies get em to. One of em drops it not wearing gear and the rest kinda learn.

Whats everyones take on this. Back when i was younger i would go out without a helmet or jacket etc. Always wore gloves now i wont ride around the block or 3 blocks down to the 7-11 without good jeans, my jacket, helmet and gloves. Granted i'm now older and have felt what asphalt and skin do when they get to know each other at high rates of speed.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 PM

My friend and I are the only riders around here with gear. Its sad sometimes, I don't think it has anything to do with age... just good judgement. I'm 18 but I have a son and wife that need me and If a cage wrecks me (or if I lowside again) I want to be able to go home to them. Bikes can be replaced but lives cannot. I plan to live a lot past 18 so I prepare for the worst and hope for the best. The HD riders may call me gay but all that chrome wont save you when a Jacked up ford takes you out at a red light.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's a fluke of your location. For some reason, the bikes are getting a late start here in Philly (that I've seen). But it hasn't stopped the gearless from hitting the streets.

Speaking for myself, the thought never entered my mind to ride my F3 without some gear. Jacket, helmet and gloves were bought before I got the bike home. I was the only person at my BRC with his own gear. It's part of my personality. I like being prepared as much as I can whenever I can. When I'm not, I'm uncomfortable.

Yeah, I'm a bit of a control freak

Old 05-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Those 90 degrees hasnt rolled around yet, maybe that why you havent seen the shorts and t-shirt guys.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You forgot the "I like my skin where its at" option. All of my gear is a different brand, I've never wrecked, I'm not old, and none of it matches my bike very well.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fubbzie
I'm 18 but I have a son and wife that need me
uncool comment

Last edited by Shadow; 05-11-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:12 PM

I have a friend thats has a yellow F4i and he wore all blue gear... not until this season did he get matching gear.

All my gear is different brands but all red/white/black just like my bike.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 77vetteguy
You forgot the "I like my skin where its at" option. All of my gear is a different brand, I've never wrecked, I'm not old.
I didnt vote because it was missing this option. But I have to admit I do look good with my gear on though.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:21 PM

As usual, at least half the guys around here ride without any gear at all. I wear gear because I've always had respect for the road ever since learning how to drive. I feel naked without a seat belt on, and I would feel even more naked without gear on.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by 77vetteguy
Shotgun wedding?
Well more or less I had been with my girlfriend for 3 years and found out we were going to have a beautiful baby boy, I did what I thought was right and manned up, we live happily together as a family now and I wouldn't change it at all. (I proposed but we haven't actually gone through the wedding process yet, but I don't need a piece of paper to tell me what I know already in my heart... plus I cant afford it atm).

Quick Reply: Why more sportbikers are gearing up?