Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Taking my road test tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wants a CBR
I don't think he understood just how small a turning radius a rocket has.

Common complaint. The test is set up for small bikes, like 250 - 300cc. My father failed TWICE on his scooter, as it's a 600cc Silverwing, and he couldn't slalom the cones fast enough. I reccomend borrowing a tiny bike if at all possible.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Go take your test like RIGHT NOW. If you can land the figure-8's, chances are you're great at everything else. If you fail, you can just go take it again, so don't worry about it. The test isn't there to certify you as a Master of Motorcycles; its there to say you're adept enough to begin practicing on the street. It's an easy test, and very hard to fail, especially if you've been practicing as much as you claim. I STILL can't handle that tight of an 8 without dropping a foot, and I passed the test by a long shot, after only 2 days of practice (MSF course), IN A DOWNPOUR.

I know its nerve racking, but you guys put WAY too much fear into this test.

PS: The cone distance (up here, at least) is 8 feet. Not sure what you mean by "circle rides." If you mean the big curve, it's very similar to a wide on-ramp.

ive been practicing daily. being unemployed and waiting for employers to call gives me a lot of time. i really dont know how big the figure-8's are but it try to do them as small as i can. im not sure if mine's really big that's why i can do it. my motorcylcle experience is only like 200mi. lol!

the circle rides are the one you go in circles. clockwise and counter-clockwise. 2 revolutions. it's pretty small from the way i see it in videos. estimating a diameter of 2 cbr's. a little tricky i think.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by bamer02
the circle rides are the one you go in circles. clockwise and counter-clockwise..
Ah, that wasn't on mine. Have you confirmed what you'll actually be tested on in your location?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
My father took the DMV road test, and failed, then did the MSF test, and passed with flying colors. I know they're supposed to be identical, but he went down to the DMV and measured the cone distances and stuff (where he really messed up), and they were WAY closer than the MSF ones.

Even if you pass, you REALLY should take an MSF course.
In VA - on my CBR the test was physically impossible, and I walked the bike through and showed the woman that the cone distances were impossible to make the turns work. She understood and realized that I knew what I was doing and gave me my license anyways....

Our's was in the world's smallest parking lot behind the DMV....

Old 06-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
I walked the bike through and showed the woman that the cone distances were impossible to make the turns work.
Ha! That's what my dad did, and the instructor said "Then that bike isn't really safe for you to be driving on the road. You should see if you can come back with a smaller bike."

The only other thing he had was a 35cc scooter, that would only have netted him a Class L endorsement. He ended up taking the Intermediate MSF course, where they space the cones WAY further apart, and passing with no problems.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 PM

johnny, i know here in cali they all do the tests (circle, serpentine, braking, turning, swerve). only difference between the msf and dmv is that the msf does not do the serpentine.

dont quote me on that. that's what my friend told me. im just practicing just in case. ill go to dmv tomorrow and ask.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by bamer02
only difference between the msf and dmv is that the msf does not do the serpentine.

dont quote me on that.

Haha quooooooote!

MSF does the serpentine here.