Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Taking my road test tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking my road test tomorrow

Any suggestions? I don't wanna fail cause it takes months to schedule these 'round here. I know not to put my foot down when making a u turn, but what should I do when I come to a stop light? I like to sit up, but should I keep my hands on the bars? Should I stay in gear or can I go into neutral?

Any help is appreciated.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 AM
July 2008 ROTM

No offense, but you're asking the general public these questions the day before your test? Research and study, man! I guarantee your local DMV has books / fliers on motorcycle rules and safety that you could've gotten.

That said, I took the MSF course so I didn't need to do the road test. I know that when you come to a stop, you should use both brakes, put your left foot down first. I assume that proper procedure is to hold the bars and the front brake so your tail light is on. I also think that holding in the clutch and being in first gear is also "best". But I'm speculating...

Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 AM

Yeah, I've been working a lot lately (70+ hours a week) and forgot til my reminder went off earlier today. Thanks though.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:54 AM

The road test here is nothing more than an instructor standing in a parking lot asking you to perform certain tasks. He'll tell you what to do, you do it, then its on to the next one. The instructor will explain exactly what is to be done. If something is unclear, ask a questions before you start the task.

On the test, you'll have weaving in and out of cones, stoping at a certain distance from a specified mph, making a u-turn in a small area, making a tight turn.. theres not much to it. takes about 15 minutes. The instructor will check your bike and gear to make sure they pass your states laws.

thats how the tests are done here in michigan, Its a not a road test in the sense your on the road, but a test to judge wether or not you can handle your bike. I'm assuming they are basically the same all over the country.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:57 AM

From what I've been told. They give you an ear bud and tell you what to do while they're following you.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 AM

From what I've been told. They give you an ear bud and tell you what to do while they're following you.
wow, thats different. So what happens if you have a question or didnt hear them? Hopefully you have a mic too so you can talk back to them.

If that is the case, then as for stopping like already said, your going to want to keep both hands on the handle bars with the bike in gear and your hand on the brake at a stop light. When lane changing, use your mirror and also a look back to make sure no cars are in your blind spot. Make sure you come to complete stops and place your feet on the ground, don't coast through stop signs.

the best thing you can do is talk to the instructor before the test begins and ask him or her what you can expect. Most of the time these guys and girls are just volunteers and riders themselves and will be more than willing to give you a heads up. At least that was my experience, of course, my test was easy as pie compared what it seems like yours is going to be.

good luck to ya.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:31 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

it totally depends on the county you are in. for example here in sacramento,ca there is the A-typical parking lot scenario, my friend down in bakersfield,ca which is in Kern county had a test much similar to a standard driving test. he went out on his motorcycle on public streets and had an instructor following him.

i think you should take the MSF course if possible and you can get your licence this way ad gain great experiences.but with you working 70+ hours it may not be possible.. goog luck either way

Old 06-11-2009, 10:47 AM

My father took the DMV road test, and failed, then did the MSF test, and passed with flying colors. I know they're supposed to be identical, but he went down to the DMV and measured the cone distances and stuff (where he really messed up), and they were WAY closer than the MSF ones.

Even if you pass, you REALLY should take an MSF course.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:30 PM

Don't get nervous. I took mine today. I got nervous and boned it. It's better to run over the cone then put your foot down or completely miss it. After I failed the instructor let me run it again for free. I wasnt nervous the second time and did fine. I'm going to try to do it again Saturday.
I put my foot down 3 times during the cone weave which is a fail here.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:58 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

i understand wanting to put your foot down during the circle test.. but why/how during the cone weave ?

Quick Reply: Taking my road test tomorrow