Riding Skills Want to improve your skills on or off the track?

Taking on road curves

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking on road curves

I just got my motorcycle endorsement(March 5 2011), I never ridden before that and have no experience. I just bought my first bike a cbr 600 and I love it. I have been pretty adamant about practicing my skills, because in my experience the msf course prepares you in no way to actually ride if you have no prior experience. Ive put in like 20 hours so far and road on the the actually streets for the first time with my friend following me on saturday in case I jacked up, I actually did fine only stalled like twice . My biggest fear right now is taking on curves esp, the onway ramp to the interstate by my house with like an 180 degree turn. I know I cant avoid this ramp forever because I have to use the highway to get to work and school .....any ideas how to conquer this turn and ones like it? And any suggestions on u-turns? my friends say to avoid u-turns but you never know when you need it. any suggestions on what to do if I have to stop midway on this ramp? I was taught to straighten out and slow down if I need to stop on a curve but this particular one has an excessive curve to it, it would be hard esp. if their is a car in front or get caught in the middle.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:21 PM

Only proceed to the next step after becoming comfortable with the previous step.

Step 0) Go take the MSF class. If you haven't, it's really worth it, not sure from your post if you did already.
Step 1) Go find a big empty parking lot
Step 2) Use an entire tank of gas practicing your turns
Step 3) Go try similar turns on less busy/slower roads
Step 4) Go try the turn late at night/early in the morning so there is less of a chance of someone being in front/behind you on the ramp, so you can take it at your own pace and get comfortable.
Step 5) Go hit that turn with confidence.
Step 6) Profit!

Last edited by comodidit; 03-29-2011 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Missed MSF
Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 AM

search, read, watch videos... but most importantly practice..

Being a avid mountain biker before getting my cbr has helped me alot with leaning and looking through turns...

practice having to stop in the middle of a turn (in a parking lot of course)... ud be suprised how quickly you can straighten up and stop if you need to..

Last edited by sumone; 05-26-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: breaking
Old 05-27-2011, 11:35 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum NwCBR11.

As for the u-turns & slow sharp turns, you'll get there. It will come w/ time. Don't overthink it, just do it. Good clutch control, balance, taking the proper line, & looking into the turn, are key ingredients to success. That *is* part of the MSF course instruction.

Keep practicing...comfort, capability, competence & confidence will come. It will be second nature b/f you know it.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Parking lot practice is a key step. For braking as well as turning. The low speed is a lot harder than high speed, so if you master that, the sweepers are a piece of cake.

Ern

Old 06-22-2011, 08:22 PM

Late to the party on this one, but.....

MSF BRC courses give those with little to no experience a foundation for building their skill. There are other MSF courses that assist with skill building, such as the BRC2. There are also street courses being introduced to assist in skill building for street riding. Check www.msf-usa.org and click on rider course info and you can get more info on the courses offered. That said, practice is the key and comodidit lays gives a good outline to get you on your way. Nothing prepares you for actually riding in traffic except for doing it. You can be taught what to look for and how to pay attention and prepare, but being in it is an experience in itself. Good luck, and welcome to the ride!