Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Supermoto Progress... (cleaned up and "finished")

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Supermoto Progress...

I am very curious myself, makes me want one.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:40 AM

im really looking forward to seeing this thing too.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 PM

Looks like its coming along nice....just looking at it makes me want one

Old 05-01-2008, 03:12 PM
Banned

I got the cam installed but bad news...

Not getting rubber mounted until tomorrow. We're getting ready to hit the trails so... I'ma need my knobbies, lol.

Not much different sound @ idle, there is a difference but it's minimal. I'm betting a stage 3 would sound al sorts of funky- oh well.

The power difference is amazing. I was getting it up in 4th gear (yes I was basically sitting on the fender )! Not too shabby considering I've only got 5 gears, lol. The first 3 gears are the biggest difference and I'm so happy about that because all I was really wanting was a tad more power in 3rd and I've got it.

Still waiting on the rear 450R fender... it's out for delivery so I'm "patiently" waiting. I'd throw up some pics now but there is no difference from above.

Final pictures will be tomorrow late-morning. I'll have the new rubber mounted and prolly leave them on those wheels till I get with CBRCRF's buddy about those wheels (dude, thanks soooo much!), and I'll use his wheels for dirt.

FYI, the cam job was super simple, all things considered. Just ahandfull of small thingsto keep track of. I'd give a cam mod a 4/10 on difficulty (single cylinder engines, anyway). Actually it's not much different than any other cam-equipped engine, really just a difference between rocker arms/tappets.

If anyone wants to take on a nice half day project and add some nice power for a pretty reasonable cost, I would definitely recommend a cam-job no matter what you're riding... assuming it has a cam, lol.

Thanks for looking guys - sorry to tease you with the pics but we'll get ya satisfied tomorrow.

Fokker, out!

Old 05-01-2008, 03:23 PM
Banned

LMAO - I just realized you can see my white poker boxers in the laundry in the picture with the tires, lol.

Yes, I wear printed boxers. Eat me!

Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM
Banned

Well didn't get much more done today except for the rear fender. Didn't go dirt riding so I'm kicking myself for not getting my rubber swapped... [:@]

Anyway, here she is - the rear isn't a direct bolt-up, but it's good and looks good so I'm happy Whaddya think?

Name:  HPIM1275.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  125.0 KB

Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Bike looks awesome! How much do you think you will have into it when you get done?

Old 05-01-2008, 10:57 PM

Nice I love supermoto bikes. My buddy rides one and he loves it. I dont have the extra cash right now but maybe one day. I wanna convert the crf450. Out of curiousity how much did all the mods cost.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Banned

I've got around $3000 in the bike as it sits with all my parts. I figured I would get the Sportsman kit first to see if I like it, then if so move on to the complete Motard conversion with 16" wheels, 42 spokes and 5 1/2" wide in the rear

Those kits start at around $799 and you only get wheels,rotor and caliper relocator... pricey.

The Sportsman kit will give you moto tires to fit your stockers and everything else, too.

FWIW, the guy I got the rear fender from (and more parts to come), was selling the moto stuff from his CRF450R. He said, and these are his words, "they only run smooth when they're pinned and they overheat at every red light."

I don't know the validity of that but I do know that I have become a fan of air-cooled single cylinders. I have a buddy that's got an 05 KTM 250, it's a romper but it in the 3 times I've hit the trails with him we end up stopping once or twice for him to cool down. For the trails, that's no big deal because you might stop and BS for a minute or two here and there but for the street...

I'd still love to have the 450R though, sick bike.

Thanks for the comments, it's been a fun process. Can't wait to see that rotor on there tomorrow with the tires, though.

Old 05-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Banned

So I'm pretty much finished, just need to install the front SS brake line. Gonna wait until tonight though, since last time I installed Goodridges they recommend you ziptie the lever to the handlebar for about 4 hours to "break-in" the lines.

Here is what we started with April 21st...

Name:  HPIM1247.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  114.0 KB

Name:  HPIM1249.jpg
Size:  110.2 KB

And today...

Name:  HPIM1278.jpg
Size:  117.4 KB

Name:  HPIM1282.jpg
Size:  115.8 KB

Name:  HPIM1281.jpg
Size:  99.0 KB

I can tell that I already love it. Put about 50 miles on the tires and they feel great. Definitely time to start saving for the 16" wheels, I couldn't imagine how those must handle. This thing is a blast and by the looks of that rear tire it will absolutely ride some dirt!

Thanks for looking - whaddya think?

On a side note, the lead technician at Honda asked me today if I have my own tools. Now, I've bugged these guys every day for almost 2 years for a job, lol. I told him that while Idon't have a big *** tool box full of tools,I have disassembled a 929RR and an F3 with the tools I do have. We talked some more and he said that they'll be looking in about 3 weeks and to just remind him then... SWEET! That would be so badass to work as a Honda motorcycle technician, I would retire there, lol.

Anyway, lemme know what ya'll think of the bike!

Quick Reply: Supermoto Progress... (cleaned up and "finished")