Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

squids and liter bikes?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dmcb2120
Hey never said it was the best bike to start on, but for everyone to say its instant trouble isnt completely accurate either. I will never tell someone its ok to get a grand as a first bike but if they are stuck on the idea I certainly wont call them names. If my wreck less A$$ can do it I'm sure there is a few other people that knows dont turn that throttle all the way.........................................
Dude, someone has to win the lottery. You did. Doesn't change the fact the odds were stacked against everyone.

Its not about self control or safety awareness either. You prolly have inherent traits that allowed you to come out fine. But not everyone does. They may not have the sense of balance, perception, focus and physical shape to deal with a motorcycle on their first time out. Thats any bike. So they're relying on pure luck while they're developing the necessary traits. Problem is the larger the bike, the more times that luck will get called into play. Luck that the new rider doesn't slip the rear in a turn. And more turns where that luck is needed because the bigger engine is more prone to cause a loose rear on more turns.

Saying you did just fine can almost be percieved by a new rider to marginalize the danger they're really in. Especially with more people saying the same. I'm not saying g you're boasting at all. Just trying to show how your statement can be turned in a soon to be new rider's head when he's looking at bikes in the dealership.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Some ppl have lady luck, some do not.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Dude, someone has to win the lottery. You did. Doesn't change the fact the odds were stacked against everyone.

Its not about self control or safety awareness either. You prolly have inherent traits that allowed you to come out fine. But not everyone does. They may not have the sense of balance, perception, focus and physical shape to deal with a motorcycle on their first time out. Thats any bike. So they're relying on pure luck while they're developing the necessary traits. Problem is the larger the bike, the more times that luck will get called into play. Luck that the new rider doesn't slip the rear in a turn. And more turns where that luck is needed because the bigger engine is more prone to cause a loose rear on more turns.

Saying you did just fine can almost be percieved by a new rider to marginalize the danger they're really in. Especially with more people saying the same. I'm not saying g you're boasting at all. Just trying to show how your statement can be turned in a soon to be new rider's head when he's looking at bikes in the dealership.

Yea I probably did inherent it cuz my fathers first bike was a stretched chromed out ZX9. Seeing as how my father has been telling me everyday for years on what to do and what not to do. Taking him back and fourth to the hospital at least once a year as really done something for me. But like I said said in my first statement I have not the slightest idea how much power that GXSR 1000 has over my 600F4.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 AM

i took the msf course last yr with my buddy and gf, got my license a few weeks b4 on my ninja 500, and my buddy got a zx6r, well at the end my gf had the best score besides me and my buddy who were already riding for a month on our permits/license.

And 2 guys were just back from iraq, another had a manual vette, and these guys could just not ride. I really think some ppl are just not meant to ride. I also think a lot of people overthink it. but im very glad i learned on a 500, so easy to turn and learn how to use the throttle in the corners, and i was faster in the turns then my buddy with a zx 6r

Old 04-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by dmcb2120
Yea I probably did inherent it cuz my fathers first bike was a stretched chromed out ZX9. Seeing as how my father has been telling me everyday for years on what to do and what not to do. Taking him back and fourth to the hospital at least once a year as really done something for me. But like I said said in my first statement I have not the slightest idea how much power that GXSR 1000 has over my 600F4.
on this forum, you wont win this argument... you were scott russell rite out of the box, and thats fine, however , alot of young dudes shouldnt hear peeps saying its a good idea to jump on a liter. i personally dont care if some one wants one and gets it, mite be fine, but the risk is so much higher for a spill .peece

Old 04-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Old 04-28-2010, 02:04 PM

This is my opinion.

Someone who has zero riding experience should not be on a sport bike at first to begin with.
Whether its a 600, 750, 1000 or 1300. All of them can get you into trouble fast, not just a 1000.

Ride a quad or dirtbike first. Learn throttle control, breaking and shifting.

I learned how to ride on a 125cc 2 stroke CR. Then took to the road on a HD Sportster.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CBRCRF
This is my opinion.

Someone who has zero riding experience should not be on a sport bike at first to begin with.
Whether its a 600, 750, 1000 or 1300. All of them can get you into trouble fast, not just a 1000.

Ride a quad or dirtbike first. Learn throttle control, breaking and shifting.

I learned how to ride on a 125cc 2 stroke CR. Then took to the road on a HD Sportster.
My sentiment exactly.

And if you can't start on dirt, get yourself a 250 and putt around for a year or so.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:34 PM

I learned on a friends 900rr, i would trade him for the day. While he was haveing fun beating the **** outta my eagle talon tsi, i was tryin to manage the whole counter steer thing. Then i got my own zx750r and had to rebuild it. Riding the kawi around was not fun and not giving me any confidence. Mainly because something just wasnt right on it. i dont know if the frame was tweeked or what, but i would hit a corner and the whole thing would start shaking and wobbeling. I almost gave up riding cause i thought i just couldn't ride. Sold the kawi, thought about buyin yamaha, rode an R1, and a R6, hated them both. A friend was selling his 929 at the right price and i couldn't say no. After that it was game on. I had to re-learn how to ride, but damn honda made it so easy.

Unless you have never been on any type of dirtbike, atv and are completly unfamiliar with shifting, braking and clutching a streetbike, I dont think it matters what you start on as long as you feel comfortable and ride within your abilities, then push them to the edge!

Old 04-28-2010, 03:52 PM

There is a difference in being able to ride a 1k and being able to RIDE a 1k.

I will also say that 75% of people on 600's can't push the bike close to its limits, even more so when on the street. I know my F2 can break most speed limits in second gear.