Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

squids and liter bikes?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol most of my convos that i have with people when they are beginners is either DONT GET A NINJA 250 and DONT start on a 1000cc... most of them dont listen to me and do it anyway

Old 04-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Nex

I think the beginner urge to get that 1000 is based mostly on looks, and like someone else said the "bigger is better" Ideal. The difference between being able to drive a car, and then a super high end car, and being able to ride, and ride a literbike is immeasurable! I think if all these people were "forced" to take the MSF, and start on a 250, they may realize it's not as easy as "hop on and go". I know the first time I got into a bit of trouble out on the range on a 250, I had serious doubts as to weather or not I'd be able to handle a 600. I never wanted a literbike to start with, but I knew for sure that was NOT a good idea.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Honda didn't help the situation selling the 08s 1000rr for less than the 09s 600rr.
I agree. This isnt helping at all. when i went in to look at my new 09 the dealer said look at this new 08 1000 and its less that that 09 600. I seriously thought about it but knew a 600 is more than enough power for me and my riding experience and that i would never use the full potential of a 1k. Still mad that he pushed a bigger bike on me without knowing if i had been riding for a bit or what.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYKnick1015
lol most of my convos that i have with people when they are beginners is either DONT GET A NINJA 250 and DONT start on a 1000cc... most of them dont listen to me and do it anyway
Here here... I did the 125-250-1000 route, but the 250-1000 transition made me feel like I was starting all over from scratch. Going from being able to WOT everywhere to learning to paying attention to my right hand/wrist took some adjusting.

As far as the OP is concerned, I'd say you suggest to them to buy an older liter bike. I mean, a liter bike is a liter bike, but if they're dead set on it, at least you can save them a few bucks when they do scrap the thing around a corner.

I think one of the more convincing arguments you could make is that they could buy an older 600, put around on it for a season and sell it without losing any real money. If your buddies are anywhere near a sportbike rental place, just suggest they sit on a 600 and ride it around the block.. they'll forget all about that liter bike once they realize exactly what they've gotten themselves into.

You could also just call them squids/ricers their faces because they're going against years and years of collective wisdom gained from the thousands of riders who have stated the same advice over and over again and basing their judgements on some arbitrary number like some punk teenage magazine racer.

There's also the practical arguments of fuel mileage and insurance costs you could bring up.

I have 0 experience with any 600, but considering the spec sheets and experiences listed here, you could just as easily kill yourself on one. If someone's gonna be that irresponsible on a bike, they're pretty much gonna do what they're gonna do irregardless of whether it's a 250/600/1000. In a way, having them start on a literbike might work out in the end... let's see them lose that rear end for the first time around any corner and walk away with even a shred of riding confidence (I've heard of a lot of first time buyers having such experiences and having bikes sit around in garages for long periods of time). As for me, I wouldn't mind buying up a used late model 1krr with some raod rash on it when I get back.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:29 PM

i started on n f4i then moved to an 600rr. dnt think ill ever go to a 1k. no need for me. its all bout throttle control and clutch control. just tell them its cheaper to replace parts on an older smaller cc bike then a newer 1k not "IF" but "WHEN" they go down bc its gunna happen.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived next door to a guy like that, a Firie (Fireman) 1st bike was Z900 kwaka, followed by a Virago 1000 & then a Suzuki 1100. he bought his wife a small car for shopping, a Torana V8 (real small car, stonking big motor). We lived on a bay, so he says he is getting a boat for fishing & a bit of cruising around, so he comes home with a Ski boat with (of course) a V8. Always asked him "why?" & he always said "why not".
Actually nothing has really changed over time, the biggest bikes you could get when I 1st stated riding where Nortons, Triumphs & BSA's, then came the Jap multi's. Most notably the Kwaka triple 2 stoke (over powered & under braked) & then the Honda K series 4's, all soled like hot cakes. We had unrestricted licenses then & when the body count started to rise the government stepped in (helmet laws, then graded licenses).
Back then I would have killed for a Norton 850 Roadster.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:53 PM

Well I LEARNED on one just fine. I guess I was just born with the skills to handle a 1000 then since that's is the only way to control a 1000.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by dmcb2120
Well I LEARNED on one just fine. I guess I was just born with the skills to handle a 1000 then since that's is the only way to control a 1000.
there will always be a few that pick it up quick. but this aint show and tell... to be responsible to others , its not the best bike to start out on.period....

Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 AM

Hey never said it was the best bike to start on, but for everyone to say its instant trouble isnt completely accurate either. I will never tell someone its ok to get a grand as a first bike but if they are stuck on the idea I certainly wont call them names. If my wreck less A$$ can do it I'm sure there is a few other people that knows dont turn that throttle all the way.........................................

Quick Reply: squids and liter bikes?!!?