Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

squids and liter bikes?!!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squids and liter bikes?!!?

Why is it that people on bikes want to start out on a 1000cc bike? I have a lot of solders I work with that want to go home from Iraq and get a bike. Sadly most of these people have little or NO riding experience. Of course with the stereotype that bigger is better, all the peeps want a liter bike. I scream, and holler as well as try to talk to them and get them to understand about bikes. But alas, it is their money and I can’t buy it for them, but I hate to see people that I know get hurt because of stupidity. I hate to sound like a nag but some people just don’t get it. I tried to get them to understand about throttle control as well as the difference in power curve between 600cc and 1000cc bikes. Learning curve and ect but they don’t get it. Anybody want to try to help me out talking some sense into these people. Why do noobs and squids want liter bikes? I understand some of you may have liter bikes and have riding experience before that, would you recommend liter bikes to others starting off? Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ignorance mixed with a lot of unjustified confidence...

Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM

Its not just army personal either I know alot of other people as well that want liter bikes but only a few of them have riding experiance.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

"be charry of giving advice: wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it."

it's human nature, and in that sense it's a losing argument for most cases. those who haven't got the experience to accurately gauge the pros and cons will assume that 'bigger is better'. i reckon there's an ego element to it as well. if someone really asked my opinion and i thought they wanted to take my answer seriously, i'd NEVER put a first time rider on a literbike. heck; i wish i had a 125 myself for putting around town.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:04 PM

Well I learned on my fathers 03 GXSR 1000. I dont know personally how much power it has over my F4 because I have never ever tested the bike. I also have never had an accident on the 1000 like I have on mine F4 (20mph down slide and a drunk drop in the garage). It's all about responsibility, if I could have enough self control at 21 to not disrespect the bike I'm sure a more mature person could also.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bubba_finch07
Its not just army personal either I know alot of other people as well that want liter bikes but only a few of them have riding experiance.
I didn't mean to suggest anything toward army personnel, there are hard-headed and ignorant people everywhere.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM

i love my liter bike... but.. i have to admit it wood have killed me if it was my first bike. my first sportbike was a 600f2 , and i still had a couple of "oh chit" moments. on my 929 , all you have to do is get a little too throttle happy around a corner and it will kick out on you. Sadly bubba , your caring attitude wont change their minds......the stove is hot because i touched it , not because you said so....

Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by regener8ed
"be charry of giving advice: wise men don't need it and fools won't heed it."
killer quote...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Honda didn't help the situation selling the 08s 1000rr for less than the 09s 600rr.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:34 PM

i've had the best results telling people that the difference between a 600 and 1000 is 30mph... 150 vs. 180. ya its dumbed down, but remember who your talking to

Quick Reply: squids and liter bikes?!!?