Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Squid or Not
Yes
52.43%
No
47.57%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Squid or not

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 01:04 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the only way you can convince people to wear gear is when they have had to have the stones, tar and gravel scrubbed from their raw skin by a less-than-gentle emergency nurse.(and that's the good part) Try losing a months pay because you can't do your job because of all the roasties, (or broken bones)and you have bills to pay.
Then perhaps you will listen.
Pain is a great teacher - ask me how I know this...............

Karma - pffft

You make your own, I believe.

I think that we've gone off subject quite a ways here - The original question had to do with riding at 30 MPH without gear as I recall. Most of us don't ride at 30, we run way quicker than that. Hence the gear. Do I ride with less than a full leather suit ? - HELL YES
I'd look funny going to Court that way, wouldn't I - but I do wear enough gear to give me some protection against the elements, or moronic road users EVERY TIME. If this makes me "chicken" so be it.

Being a squid is more of an "image" thing IMO. It's more to do with one's image of oneself, and how "cool" one can look. THAT's what makes a squid IMO.

Last edited by Shadow; 07-09-2010 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

... in my experiences the ones WITH the gear get the worst damage. I think the ones that cant sit for weeks and yaddi yaddi yaddi understand the concept of riding but lack the knowledge on how to fall
I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

first, i find no indication that 'the Lord's work' includes protecting people from the consequences of their own choices.

i have actually been in one of these mysterious 30mph crashes, and from my experience i can tell you that if my helmet did not in fact save my life, it certainly prevented some very undesirable head trauma.

------------------------------
On a side note; i have always found it interesting that there is no massive public lobbying effort to eliminate seatbelt laws and airbags. why is a safety mandate so accepted by people who are already inside a protective structure, but resisted by those who are so exposed?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 AM

I already stated earlier that I'm an ATTGATT kind of guy and anyone who thinks its because I'm scared or a ***** doesn't know me. As for the argument that "the Lord's will" is involved I would remind them that "The Lord helps those who help themselves." That being said, I thought we weren't supposed to bring religion into our discussions here.

Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't see this as bringing religion into it - if there was a discussion on religion, or hacking religion/s, sure it would be gone.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few squids around town

Old 07-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Old 07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
June 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by Shadow
I think the only way you can convince people to wear gear is when they have had to have the stones, tar and gravel scrubbed from their raw skin by a less-than-gentle emergency nurse.(and that's the good part) Try losing a months pay because you can't do your job because of all the roasties, (or broken bones)and you have bills to pay.
Then perhaps you will listen.
Pain is a great teacher - ask me how I know this...............

Karma - pffft

You make your own, I believe.

I think that we've gone off subject quite a ways here - The original question had to do with riding at 30 MPH without gear as I recall. Most of us don't ride at 30, we run way quicker than that. Hence the gear. Do I ride with less than a full leather suit ? - HELL YES
I'd look funny going to Court that way, wouldn't I - but I do wear enough gear to give me some protection against the elements, or moronic road users EVERY TIME. If this makes me "chicken" so be it.

Being a squid is more of an "image" thing IMO. It's more to do with one's image of oneself, and how "cool" one can look. THAT's what makes a squid IMO.
Very well said. I agree with everything said here.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpncbr954s
I think the ones that cant sit for weeks and yaddi yaddi yaddi understand the concept of riding but lack the knowledge on how to fall......
What exactly do you do to train yourself to hit the ground at 45mph on asphalt? How do you hone this split second cat-like technique?

Old 07-27-2010, 12:28 AM

^^looking at those pictures give me the chills.

Quick Reply: Squid or not